Who eats healthy & who eats by the numbers?

Options
Do you try to eat a well balanced diet without a lot of pizza or processed foods or is your goal to keep your caloric intake under a certain number everyday, regardless of the food?

I eat pretty healthy as a rule, fish, chicken, beans veggies, maybe some no sugar added ice cream now & then. I am usually way under on my calories too. I noticed the few days I eat unhealthy, (Doritos, French Fries, pizza, etc) I am 200 to 300 calories over. I would starve if I tried to stay under with that type of food.

What about you? How do you eat?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    great question! i try and be healthy 80% of the time, but the amount of junk some people eat but think its ok because they are within their cals is amazing!
  • xhaller
    Options
    I think I'm like you. I like to get my vitamins from actual whole food items, not from supplements because my food choices are so lacking. I make lots of my own food and am really eager to try new food recipes all the time. Have you seen the October issue of Real Simple? It has an insane amount of recipe ideas. I've tried a few of them so far and they've all been great.

But I do notice I am under my calories a lot. Then, like you said, when I have beer or eat ice cream, I'm always waaaaay over. It's such a tricky thing to find balance.

PS: I LOVE YOUR PICTURE with your dog. Sooo cute!
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would say it like this....I try to make good and healthy choices as much as possible....but as we all know this is life and sometimes we can't always do what we would like to do...If I do eat something not so good for me or have a day that I am over
    I try to do better the next day and make better choices. I think I would be being quite unrealistic with myself if I said "No junk food ever" for myself...So I let myself splurge every now and then and try not to go over calories from that splurge item or at least not over by much.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm a mix. I do the "everything in moderation" thing, and try to choose healthy options most of the time (my aim is for 70-80% healthy and whole, 20-30% whatever.)

Then there are days like today, when I'm craving junk food more than usual, and my diary looks like an eight-year old's fantasy diet full of oreos and redvines. But these days are very rare.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    As I am adding more fruits and veggies, I don't feel good when I have the processed stuff. Like, really don't feel good. One of these days, that should hopefully get the connection to my brain to stop asking for it!!!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Mostly healthy, but if I really want something, I'll MAKE it fit ;)
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals around healthy, whole foods. But then when I eat out I let myself have whatever fits in my calorie budget. So I think it balances out. :)
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as healthy as possible and as my budget will allow bit I do eat chocolate or sweets from time to time.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Generally when I eat pizza or McDs, it's socially so I have 1 piece and balance a salad with it.
    I skip french fries and doritos because it's too easy to eat a few and the calorie count will fly up.
    I do lots of substitution to find replacements. For example Special K has a chip that is tasty and low-cal.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly healthy, but I don't deprive myself of anything.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I think I have been trying to do both....staying within my allowed calories but my food choices are all healthy ones which enables me to eat more food!
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy(ish) while at work (both breakfast and lunch), which lets me feel less guilty (and have a better chance of staying close to my numbers) once I'm home.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much anything I want and just moniter quantity to keep under budget. I do end up eating healthier foods more simply because you can eat a pile of food compared to a handful of chips.
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    clean eating and within my calorie range but I also listen to my body, sometimes you need a bit more fuel:) If I want something unhealthy I make it at home and revamp it into a waaay healthier version:) Most of the time...lol
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Mostly healthy, but if I really want something, I'll MAKE it fit ;)
    Me exactly!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I try eating healthy...Lean proteins, fruits, veggies....But I slip sometimes...So I'll say about 90% of the time
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think I'm like you. I like to get my vitamins from actual whole food items, not from supplements because my food choices are so lacking. I make lots of my own food and am really eager to try new food recipes all the time. Have you seen the October issue of Real Simple? It has an insane amount of recipe ideas. I've tried a few of them so far and they've all been great.

But I do notice I am under my calories a lot. Then, like you said, when I have beer or eat ice cream, I'm always waaaaay over. It's such a tricky thing to find balance.

PS: I LOVE YOUR PICTURE with your dog. Sooo cute!
    Thanks! I'm happy to say, my dog now weighs more than me, lol.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy everyday but once in a while run into a situation where i cave. For the most part, I do low-carb (no more than 50 net) per day and have incorporated a lot of healthy snacks (almonds, etc.). I am a huge meat lover so I still have to have meat at dinner and some good protein at lunch!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    clean eating all the time, with a small list of exceptions that I have once in a long while

-Kraft Mac n Cheese
    -Spaghettios
    -Dr. Pepper
    -oreos
    -candy

ETA: I will certainly indulge in high calorie treats when they are made from natural ingredients
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I try to feed myself good foods in a balanced way, but I don't think twice about stealing a nacho from a friend or having a glass of wine here and there.
    I'm about 80% healthy, 20% not, but always aware of calories.