Sore Abs from Incline Bench Press???

Options
Okay, so this past weekend I got my new weight bench put together and put it to use by doing 6 sets of 8 reps of inclined bench presses (probably more than I should have done but I was excited) as well as some dumbbell flys.

Yesterday and today, I've noticed that my abdominal section is really sore ... more so than my chest. Now, I'm a paraplegic ... paralyzed from approximately the waist down, so my butt definitely stays flat on the bench while I'm working out and my legs obviously play no part in the lifting. Is it even feasible that my abdominals are sore due to the incline presses?

Replies

• blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Actually yes. Because you have stabilize with your torso, especially on inclines, you end up flexing the muscle in your abs, serratus and obliques. If they aren't conditioned, like any other muscle they will get sore.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Actually yes. Because you have stabilize with your torso, especially on inclines, you end up flexing the muscle in your abs, serratus and obliques. If they aren't conditioned, like any other muscle they will get sore.

That's what I was wanting to know ... Thanks niner!
  • Buhbeee
    Options
    Makes perfect sense to me! Way to go!! A thought too: Just be careful of your neck! It can be pretty easy to put strain on your neck if you don't pick a focal point to look at. That sounds like a party that your neck and back should not be invited to - is an exclusive RSVP for abs and arms only! Way to make it count, Blazer!!!
  • Buhbeee
    Options
    Makes perfect sense to me! Way to go!! A thought too: Just be careful of your neck! It can be pretty easy to put strain on your neck if you don't pick a focal point to look at. That sounds like a party that your neck and back should not be invited to - is an exclusive RSVP for abs and arms only! Way to make it count, Blazer!!!