Cross Training for Runners

I am looking for some ideas for Cross Training. I am thinking about starting Power 90 (Pre-cur to P90X) as I've been told it's helps build up to the P90X.

But I am really looking for a variety of things that will help compliment my running. I used to run but never seriously committed and never did any type of cross training along with it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and advice. :)

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    I ride my bike. No impact & body recovers nicely. :smile:
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    I used 30DS and Ripped in 30 for strength, plus I cross-train on the elliptical.
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    There are many options....strength train, cycle class, swimming, kickboxing, etc....
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    I swim and use the elliptical. I hate the bike, but I ride as much as I can force myself to.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    There are many options....strength train, cycle class, swimming, kickboxing, etc....

^^^^^
    this, preferably all of them at some point... Keep thing fresh, prevent injury.
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Biking is great as it will help with your legs, but work them in a different way.

Weight training is really good as it will help to build better definition as well as reduce injury.

Elliptical training is an option if you have access to a machine.

Yoga will help keep muscles limber and also reduce acts an injury prevention.

If available, what about team sports like basketball, soccer, etc. that have a lot of running in them? There are usually adult recreation leagues around for all ages.

As a general note, don't jump to quickly into any cross training. Ease into it the same way you eased into your current running routine.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    On my non-running days, I do a variety of different things: lifting weights, riding my bike/spinning, yoga, and playing sports (usually basketball).
  • Thanks everyone for all the ideas!!! def going to be working all of those into my cross training days!!!!