Best time of day to work out

Options
I've heard that it is best to work out 2x a day, to keep your metabolism high throughout the day.

So for example, 30 minutes before work, 45 minutes after work, etc.

Does anybody else work out late at night? I have been working during the 8:30 pm-10:30 pm range lately due to my work scedule and have been too tired to do it at 5:00 a.m.

What is preferred?

Also, I do 15 minutes of heavy lifting during my workouts, and always take 1 protein shake before and 2 after the workout. Is this bad being that I have been going to bed about an hour after i work out given that someone's metabolism falls at night? (Presumably, i don't know if it actually does or not)

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well you know what Mean Gene, the best time to work out is whenever you can fit it in. Never heard of the working out 2x a day thing. Sounds bogus. If you work out for 30-60 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week, and eat a good diet, you will get results, period.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I used to do it after work, but by the time I got home from work I didn't feel like going and would skip workouts. For almost a year I have been getting up before work (~5:30 - 6:00 am) and doing about 30-35 min. cardio. This has helped me to just get it done and not "skip" as many workouts. I feel free when I get home from work to do whatever I want to do, sometimes this includes another short workout, sometimes it doesn't, depending on my mood/energy level. I like to just get it over with. Plus I have had benefits with being able to sleep better. If I work out too close to bedtime (which is 9 PM - i know, early) I have trouble sleeping.

Good luck finding what works for you! For right now this works for me. I know my schedule may change someday, my life may change and I might not have time to go every morning. I don't think it matters what time you work out, as long as it fits into your schedule and doesn't interfere with other activities (ie sleeping).
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at night, because if I do it early in the day I become so hungry, I sabotage myself! :( I do mine around 7-8pm, then shower and hit the sack! :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Best time is whenever YOU have the time for it! Whatever works best for your schedule is best because you will most likely be able to stick with it!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to work out within 3 hours of bedtime. It prevents you from being able to fall asleep, or get restful sleep. And what are you doing going to bed after 10:30pm and getting up at 5AM?!?!?!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Best time is whenever YOU have the time for it! Whatever works best for your schedule is best because you will most likely be able to stick with it!

I agree with this!... For me when I get up at 5am and feel like I'm ready to go then I will get in my workout, otherwise I will do it when I get home from work... The main thing is you get it done! :)
  • johnnyace8
    Options
    In addition to what the Hulkster said I would add that consuming that kind of shake before going to bed is really a bad idea. Certainly there is evidence to support that that a 3:2 carb/protein post-workout snack can be a decent supplement, but also realize that calories that are consumed before rest are largely turned into storage fat (that's why sumo's do it!). See if you can't find a good trainer to consult with in your area to clarify these issues for you in the near future. Good luck:smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    but also realize that calories that are consumed before rest are largely turned into storage fat (that's why sumo's do it!).

this is false, brother
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to work out within 3 hours of bedtime. It prevents you from being able to fall asleep, or get restful sleep. And what are you doing going to bed after 10:30pm and getting up at 5AM?!?!?!

You aren't supposed to? Says who? Every body is different... I can workout AND eat right before I go to bed and STILL lose weight AND sleep like a baby!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I like working out during my lunch and then I just eat at my desk after. Seems to be working out. I don't skip workouts like I did when I tried to workout before work. I'd just end up enjoying "sleeping in" too much.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    5 AM every morning (later on the weekends) I ride for an hour on my exercise bike. I drag my butt into the living room half asleep and end up energized and ready to go. If I waited until after work, I'd never do it.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the AM or on my lunch hour. I find I burn more calories and have a higher heart rate at lunch hour.
  • lovenhope00
    Options
    it has been proven that your lung function is best in the later afternoon - like 4-5. So if you have any breathing issues like asthma, you would be able to perform better and thus burn more calories by excersing near that time frame. You don't burn more calories depending on the time of exercise, however you do continuing burning for hours after, so that's why excersing twice would make sense. Then you would in essence be burning calories all day, far beyond what your resting metabolism would be burning otherwise. but if you put forth too much effort on making your schedule of twice a day I am sure it would be harder to always find the time, and most who skip one began to get discouraged and may "keep missing." So as long as you are excersing tat is the perfect time for you to be doing it :)