My Frickin Awesome Veggie Chili

Options
annabellio
annabellio Posts: 127 Member
Now that the weather is cooling down, its time for soup and chili- here's my fave (everyone seems to love it !)

My Frickin Awesome Veggie Chili
1 can each of :
chili beans
kidney beans
corn
small sliced olives
white beans
black beans
small green chiles ( I use hot )
large can crushed tomatoes
tomato sauce
1 packet taco seasoning
1 package yves ground (fake meat) or smart ground (fake meat) (at safeway its in the produce section)
I also add a Tbsp of cumin and tons of hot sauce but that’s all up to you.
Spray cooking spray at the bottom of dutch oven (or any pot able to accommodate 16 cups). Heat fake meat. Once warmed , open and drain all the beans. Empty into pot. Stir. Add chiles , tomatoes , tomato sauce, and corn. (do not drain these !!) Stir. Drain olives and add. Add taco seasoning. Stir. Add hot sauce and cumin. Stir. Let stand on heat at low for at least 1 ½ hours. I usually can’t wait so I take a cup out and heat it in the micro, but this is way yummier after it sits.
I serve this with Truly Homemade whole wheat tortillas from Trader Joe’s , Mexican Sour Cream , low fat cheddar and when I’m splurging , a quarter of an avocado. Oh , and more hot sauce.This stuff RULES.
Yield : about 16 cups
Calories : about 139 per cup
Fiber : 6.5 grams per cup
Fat : 1.5 grams per cup
Carbs : 22 grams per cup
Protein : 10 grams per cup

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That sounds really awesome. **hitting print now**
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    this sounds yummy...we are having homemade chili this week too. will have to save this recipe for another time.
  • melissabell1984
    Options
    sounds easy and delicious! I can't wait to try it :-) Thank you for sharing
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see if i can pass off the "fake" meat on my fiance...lol This sounds amazing!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Priscillawants74gone
    Options
    That sounds really awesome. **hitting print now**

me too!
  • icandoit35
    Options
    thanks so much for sharing this - plus having the nutritional breakdown is awesome.
    i'm excited to try it!
  • mags1983
    Options
    :smile:
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    One thing not listed is the sodium content. Those packets of taco seasoning are packed full of a ridiculous amount of sodium and preservatives. Consider making your own. Super easy and cuts out the cheap, garbage fillers!

Here is a recipe to give you an idea of exactly how simple it is! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/taco-seasoning-i/detail.aspx
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Gotta try this!
  • littlemount
    Options
    That sounds yummy I can easily eat it often .
  • Texas501
    Options
    That's Frickin Awesome!
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • JJostesCheng
    Options
    Bump!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm chili!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You can get by without the fake meat, too.

Replace with 8 oz of mushrooms chopped to about the size of ground beef crumbles (food processor is easiest) and 1/2 cup (dry) of TVP, plus about a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast (any dry yeast works, but live baking yeast is a lot more expensive). If you have red or brown miso paste, a little bit 1/2 tablespoon or so helps, too.

The mushrooms and TVP give a meaty texture, and the mushrooms, soy and yeast give the "meaty", umami taste.

ETA: I didn't mean to disrespect the original recipe, or fake meat in general. I eat that stuff too, sometimes. Just providing an alternative...
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump :)
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for sharing! :)