Soup, Soup, Soup.

Options
Soup is a major part of life..at least for me. The only problem about this amazing creation is the sodium. Sure, I could just make my own, but I like somethings easy. Which do you find the most nutritious? I was thinking maybe the Select Harvest and Progressive kind, but I could be wrong.

Replies

• KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I also love soup! I think Campbells has a low sodium.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Be careful, they are loaded with sodium. We are learning to make our own, and I make extra and put single serves in the freezer for a quick lunch or a fend for yourself night. Plus I like a ton of crackers with my soup, and I get enough sodium from that.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Hi! I like the Nile Spice soups. I order them from Amazon. They are not TOO bad in sodium or calories and have a good source of potassium, fiber, and protein.

I also eat the healthy selects by campbells and the lower sodium options of progresso.

soup is my "go-to" food too! I eat it just a bout every day!

Sometimes, I just get a bunch of vegetables, cut them up, add some herbs and a little water and broth (low sodium) and simmer until the veggies are to the desired tenderness. Then you can freeze it in smaller servings.
  • Rozzymoo
    Options
    I also love soup. Sometimes I add chickpeas or rice or even a little pasta. For shop bought, in the UK, I prefer Baxters Healthy options - great vegetable and lentil choices that are tasty and filling though, best of all is homemade. Its so easy to make and there are endless variations. My favourites include: spiced parsnip; roast squash and sweet potato; spicy lentil; chunky mixed vegetable. I use reduced salt Marigold Swiss Bouillon as my stock base.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the reduced sodium chicken broth from Swanson, and then make my "own" chicken soup with other ingredients such as carrots, celery, pasta, etc. Just gives a good base to start. Can do the same thing with stews and other options.
  • manda1028
    Options
    even the select healthy request sent my sodium above goal. soup is gooood though. i want to make a big pot of it on a sunday evening so i could have lunches most of the week. if you like to cook, im sure you could come up with an easy soup with less sodium that you enjoyed. just make a big quantity:) ohhh and the progresso is loaded.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You definately have to try to make your own not only are they high in sodium but they are in a can which contain BPA, not good at all. When I make soup I make a few days supply so I have it on hand and ready to go for my lunch. Soup was my life saver for quick lunches. If you really can't, agreed that Campbell's has some great low sodium options but read the label it may be low in sodium but high in something else.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of soup too, but I actually find that they taste better and are more healthy when I make them myself. I usually just pick a protein and a broth and then add veggies and sometimes a starch.

From that I come up with miso soup, tortilla soup, tofu noodle (think chicken noodle for vegetarians), etc. I starting making soup by looking up recipes online and then experimenting with making them healthier and making them taste like what I was craving that day.

I've even taken a bunch of celery and pureed it and added veggie broth and Frank's redhot sauce for a hot wings like experience. It was awesome, but probably not for everyone.

If you love canned soup but want to stretch your calories, a friend of mine who is a nutritionist showed me a trick. Buy your favorite soup and also a bag of frozen mixed veggies. Make the soup with extra water and throw in some of the veggies. You add bulk, water down the sodium a bit, keep most of the flavor, and that can of soup will last you longer. :smile:
  • cacraft
    Options
    One trick we do is everytime we cook a whole chicken (about once a week) we boil the bones for stock - with no salt added.

I also freeze all my vegetable cuttings that would normally go in the compost (you know, carrot ends, bits of celery, etc) and use it when I make the stock.

Beans are cooked from dry as well (no salt added) and I will do a big batch (soak and cook the whole bag!) and freeze them. Very handy for soups, salads or sides.

Bits of leftover chicken or beef, pasta, and rice - all can be frozen and used later for soup. Or whatever.

Now when I go to make a soup, most of the ingredients are handy. Still takes a little longer than opening a can - but oh my, it tastes so much better!
  • cacraft
    Options
    If you love canned soup but want to stretch your calories, a friend of mine who is a nutritionist showed me a trick. Buy your favorite soup and also a bag of frozen mixed veggies. Make the soup with extra water and throw in some of the veggies. You add bulk, water down the sodium a bit, keep most of the flavor, and that can of soup will last you longer. :smile:

Great tip!