8 miles too much?

Options
my fiance is going on a fishing trip on sat. after his brothers wedding [after 8pm] and not coming back until wed night. i want to see my grandmother everyday, whom lives 4 miles away from me & ill be walking. i have no ride there, so thats why im walking there and back..so is 8 miles a day over doing it? thats all im doing for my workout plan those 3 days

Replies

• Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Average walking speed is about 3 miles an hour. So assume it will take you an hour and twenty minutes each way.

It doesn't seem like overdoing it to me when you break it down like that. I guess it will depend on how often you walk now and what kind of route it is (flat, hilly, trails?).

Good luck!
  • Julieelliott12
    Julieelliott12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel and what you do now. I think 8 miles would be rough one me cause I'm a one mile and im done kinda girl..
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Do you walk regularly? What is the distance you walk on a normal basis?
    What sort of a workout routine is normal for you?

Hard to say without more information.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Should be 2 hours of walking total? Depends on your fitness level right now. Bring water and food and wear good shoes if you are up for it.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    8 milles is a solid walk, wear good shoes and make sure that you can easily do 5 miles before attempting the trek but no, I don't think it's overdoing it.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    At 18 years old... no it's not too much at all. When I was 18, we didn't have a car and I had to bike or walk wherever I went. My gf at the time lived 33 miles away in another county so I was on the bike to see her. Six hour bike ride one way. But it was worth it ;)
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    If you feel up to it as the others posted GOOD shoes, water ,and food.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i dont think thats to much at all just be sure to bring a waterbottle with you :)

i used to walk 4 miles to work and back every day
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like over doing it, but I know when I walked 8 miles during a hike it really did a number on my hips and legs. Yes hiking is different, but I noticed the strain! See how you do after you do it one time and see how your body feels the next day! Listening to your body is key :)
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    Options
    on an average i walk [as one of my daily workouts in the house] an hour a day without stopping. as for hills, flat, etc. its flat half way and reallyyyyy steep hills the other half.

aww, thats so sweet of you. id do the same :]]
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile to get a feel of where you are with things and I can't help but admit that I'm concerned...:frown:

Maybe I am reading things wrong but between your goals and your photos it seems as though you are underweight. So if that is the case, yes 8 miles is too much for your body. You would need to eat a sufficient amount of extra calories which doesn't seem like your cup of tea.

I really don't know what to say. And maybe you don't care to take advice from someone who is overweight, such as myself.:indifferent:
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    Options
    nope. my bmi is 25..def not under. im 150lbs right now, im considered overweight