Triceps?

Options
My arms are starting to get a bit of tone and definition, which is great, but I'm really not happy with my triceps - still saggy, and I can't even feel a muscle in there!

I can't do tricep dips, as I have an old rotator cuff injury and the angle of the movement hurts too much for now. Can anyone suggest any other brilliant exercises I could use to shape 'em up a bit?

I tend to use machines at gym as I'm scared of the free weights bit. I do pec decs, tricep pull downs, rower, bench press and some thing for my deltoids that makes me look like the funky chicken. At the moment I'm pushing 45kg on all of these except the bench press (25 kg) and the deltoids one (15, I think....)

I'm willing to give anything you might be able to suggest a go....

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have to post a comment just so I can see the answers. :) I hope you get good responses my friend!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Close grip bench press.

I'm curious as to why you're using the same weights for vastly different moves, both compound moves and isolation moves.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Close grip bench press.

I'm curious as to why you're using the same weights for vastly different moves, both compound moves and isolation moves.

I have no idea... It just happens to be where I'm up to, and what I feel I can manage. Do you think I could push harder on some? I tend to do three sets of 8 at first, build up till I can do 12, then move up to the next weight band.

I'm doing this all by myself. I take it pretty seriously, push as hard as I think I can, but I'm always open to suggestions. I love the weights bit of my workout - it's my favourite part.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I looked the close grip bench press up. It's in the scary free weights section of the gym......

Maybe if I snuck in there at 10-ish.... When there weren't too many fit bods about.... ?

(Edited to add - when I said 'bench press' above, I meant the machine based version. )
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i like sitting straight up on the bench and grabbing usually 15-20 pound weight. I hold the weight behind my head with elbows pointing up and push it up and down until my triceps burn. Also push ups are good, even wall push-ups.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Well the bench press uses practically your whole upper body, plus some lower body and core to stablise, so unless you're being affected by injury, you'd expect to be able to push more than say an isolation move such as tricep pushdowns. The same with rows and bicep curls. However, it's possible it's where you are due to the compexity of compound moves. Perhaps you're cheating on your form to get big results with your isolation moves? I can't really tell from here I'm afraid.

Keep your rests timed, from 60 to 90 secs with that rep range, and really concentrate on those compound moves and see if you actually can't do one more rep.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Diamond press ups then. With hands elevated to make it easier, not knees on floor.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    If you can, there are rotator cuff exercises you can do with the cables to strengthen them. It's likely your shoulder injury is what's limiting your presses.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    i like sitting straight up on the bench and grabbing usually 15-20 pound weight.

Ah yes, I know what you mean - my sister showed me this a few years ago. I think I can probably manage this!

Push ups still hurt a bit for now - but I keep trying every now and again. The injury is getting better with exercise, so I think it's only a matter of time.
    Keep your rests timed, from 60 to 90 secs with that rep range, and really concentrate on those compound moves and see if you actually can't do one more rep.

Ahhhhh, this might be the issue. I don't rest anything like that long. I tend to rest for as long as I've worked. So to a count of 15 usually before I start again on the next set. Thanks, I'll try this and see if I can up the weights.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    If you can, there are rotator cuff exercises you can do with the cables to strengthen them. It's likely your shoulder injury is what's limiting your presses.

I haven't tried the cables machines yet - I'll ask one of the instructors to show me how to use it.

I know I need to get over the free weights section fear. I just feel too embarrassed to gallumph around in there just yet - I'm too big. And in my gym, it *really* is testosterone central. You never see women in there.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Diamond press ups then. With hands elevated to make it easier, not knees on floor.

OK, will give that a go when I'm doing floor work in the morning. Bookmarking websites... Thanks for all your help - I really do appreciate it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Bench dips
    put your butt on a bench, legs together, feet out in front of you on the ground, grab the bench just outside yoru thighs.
    slid butt forward and let it dip down, back sliding along bench, and press up
    moving feet further in or farther away will decrease/increase resistance........
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Well if your rests are that far off, surely you can't get anywhere near the reps you got with your first set on your following sets then?

Ideally, you should be aiming for a weight that allows you to only just finish your last rep of your last set. Sets, reps, rest and tempo all affect how much weight you need/can handle
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Can you get some dumbells and do tricep kickbacks and bench presses at home?? I do my chest press with dumbells so that it evens up my strength on both sides whereas using a barbell my stronger side tends to carry my weak one.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Well if your rests are that far off, surely you can't get anywhere near the reps you got with your first set on your following sets then?

Ideally, you should be aiming for a weight that allows you to only just finish your last rep of your last set. Sets, reps, rest and tempo all affect how much weight you need/can handle

Third set tends to be hardest - I start to struggle at 6.

I'll try lengthening the rests. I'm quite excited at the idea I might be able to push heavier. :-)
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Well you've pretty much been doing one huge resting set. You'll need practise finding the right weights so that it's a struggle to finish. The third set will still be hardest, but the first still shouldn't be easy.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Also tate presses should be a shoulder friendly tricep move.

Plus check out the first stage of the turkish get up (just the situp stage is enough) to rehabilitate, strengthen and increase flexabilty in your shoulders
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Well you've pretty much been doing one huge resting set. You'll need practise finding the right weights so that it's a struggle to finish. The third set will still be hardest, but the first still shouldn't be easy.

So... I either have phenomenal endurance, or I'm phenomenally dim? :-)
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Once you start timing your rest, I bet that will take the number of members that know anything about rest intervals up to one.

Oh yeah, tempo, as mentioned briefly, keep it simple for now, just lift the weight as fast as possible (you warmed up with a light set first right?), and lower to a count of 4 (assuming you got 1-2 on the way up). The increase in lowering time is mainly to boost time under tension, the explosive lift is to target your fast twitch muscles which have the most potential for growth.
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well you know what I'm going to say j... ;) Get over the testosterone fear ;) But I think you can do it early before the marines arrive :)

Reverse Tricep Kickbacks should be okay. (yes free weights) (soup cans at home if you want, 2L bottles whatever) (If you picked up the book I told you about it's page 240). If not, for left arm. Kneel on bench or surface with right knee. place Right hand flat in front for balance, left leg opposite in front also for balance. Grab Free weight (or bottle) Keeping your back flat, bring elbow up to a 'locked' position parallel with your back. So your arm is parallel with your body, let your wrist drop down holding the weight, your arm is now bent at 90 deg at the elbow. Slowly raise your wrist to be even (180 degrees) with your remaining arm. No swimming the weight, no swing, no motion of the upper arm. It's like a bicep curl, in reverse. Since the arm is stable in a locked position even with your flattened back, it should not affect your Rotator cuff at all as it's not in motion.

The book calls it "fixed bodyweight triceps extension" I call it, horizontal pushups. (p 242). Grab a bar at waist height. It says keep your arms stationary and your elbows in. (I never remember to do that) And lower yourself forward and back. 1 Rep. The book shows the girl bent at the waist in an 'L" form. So perhaps this is different than standard pushups and will put less pressure on your cuff. It looks like you are literally pushing yourself forward and back till your forehead touches the bar.

Those are the only two I see that won't activate your shoulder more than necessary. All the rest "overhead press", "dips" etc... all activate that shoulder block too much.

Good luck my dear. :) *HUGS*