c25k

Options
Is neone doin the couch 2 5k and seein some good results?

Replies

• Greenwellj
    Options
    I did it and I loved it. It starts really easy. When it got to running 20 min I didn't think I could do it but I did.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 3 tonight
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I finished it several months ago. I had never run in my life, in fact I had difficulties in high school gym because I wasn't able to complete a full lap around the track. I ran over 4 miles on Saturday. I'm not fast, mind you, but hey, I can run. Oh, and I finished a sprint triathlon a month ago (swim 250 meters, bike 7 miles then run 2 miles). I would have thought it impossible before C25K. Keep it up... you'll get there. Congratulations for starting!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I did it and went from being unable to even run for 60 seconds, to being able to run for 30 minutes straight!! Very slowly but running none-the-less!! You should give at go.
  • rogerm213
    rogerm213 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The C25K is a great program but you have to be careful if you have not done much for physical activity recently. It ramps up pretty quickly and will have you running too much too soon. If this happens do not get discouraged. Repeat or modify weeks until you are ready to jump to the next level. The program as written is designed for 9 weeks but it is not one size fit all. I know for some it took 18 to 20 weeks to get that 5K run in. Others continued with the walk/run intervals and that is still a great way to get in shape and with less risk of injury. Check out some of Jeff Galloway's programs and books. Running Until Your 100 is a great read and a common sense plan to keep you running.

Good Luck
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've finished it.

The biggest thing it teaches you is that you *can* do what you *think* is impossible.

I never thought that I could run for 30 minutes straight until I actually did it. I remember being in week 2 and seeing the week 9 plan and thinking that I'll never get there. I repeated a few weeks because I was scared but once I just pushed ahead I found that I had nothing to fear.

I did a time based version of it and I think that's easier than distance. I need to work my speed now as I've been jogging the same distance for 30minutes and it's not quite 5k.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 4 and had to increase the walking time a little in between the last two running intervals. I'm still going to complete the w4 workouts as prescribed 3 times before I move on to week 5, but that's just because that's how I am. C25k does seem to add running time very rapidly compared to what I would expect, but I am constantly amazed that my body can pretty much keep up with those increases (right on the edge). It's uncomfortable, and I did have to pause once, but I finish every time. Each next time seems to be much easier than I expect it to be.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Also: Make sure you jog very slowly at first. I tried to keep a pretty fast pace and it was holding me back. Focus on endurance first; jogging for the amount of time instead of going for distance. The distance will come with practice.
  • rogerm213
    Options
    Also: Make sure you jog very slowly at first. I tried to keep a pretty fast pace and it was holding me back. Focus on endurance first; jogging for the amount of time instead of going for distance. The distance will come with practice.

Emurano Consider trying this and see how it works for you. Run 4 minutes and walk 1 and repeat this 6 times thus giving you 30 minutes. My bet is with the 1 minute recovery walks you will end up going farther than your continuous 30 minute run. Those one minute walks allow you to recover and each run will be stronger and faster. It is also not a bad way to train and you will find by varying your workout day to day and running a bit faster during those 4 minute segments you will get stronger and faster when you continuously run.

Just a thought for your consideration.
  • cfiles
    cfiles Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have yall lost weight while doin the c25k?
  • rogerm213
    Options
    It will be an aid to your weight loss but one of the things that I fell into was I would use the running as an excuse to eat more. You have to eat to run not run to eat.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I've been in training for almost 8 weeks, and lost like 8lbs.