fresh garden sweet potatoes

Options
we struggled all summer with the arkansas heat and drought weather...my garden was not very successful, but some things did survive...banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, now the watermelons are coming back(they are about the size of large grapefruits), the lima bean plants are green and blooming again, and best of all i discovered an abundance of sweet potatoes, and they are ready for the harvesting! :D i love sweet potatoes!

so my question is...how do you do sweet potatoes? looking for new and creative recipes! thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• cherryObebe
    Options
    bump
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    This is my FAV way to make sweet potatoes (and my whole family <3 them) I cut them in to thin rounds (leave skin on) lay flat on a baking sheet (brushed with oil), brush the tops with olive oil or grape seed oil (has a high flash point) sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and bake until crispy (20 min or so) They are great reheated too!

Another recipe (but much more complicated) is to bake the sweet potato then pure it in a food processor to use as the filling in a lasagna dish I dont have the actual recipe as I usually just go with whatever I have on hand, but Im sure if you google it you can find one. :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I bake or microwave my sweet potatoes and I like them with Madras lentils on top!. . .or of course you can make baked sweet potato fries. . just slice them up. . .put a little olive oil on a cookies sheet and roll them around in it . . then season with salt and pepper. . Or I like cayenne and then you can put a little nutmeg on them. . so delicious.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Slice into madalions then throw them in the microwave to cook for 5 mins. Coat with a small amount of EVOO and toss in a little bit of Club House Mesquite marinade dry mix or chipotle chilli powder. Bbq in a basket until cooked through. They will likely stick so I usually coat the basket with a high heat cooking spray too.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes too!

I've done a coupla things....

1. wash, (don't peel) slice in 1/2 inch slices. lay on cookie sheet. spray with olive oil spray. sprinkle with Garham Masala spice. Bake in oven till tender. How much oil and spice is really up to your taste.

2. boil, drain and mash cubed sweet potatoes (peeled) sprinkle with Cardamom spice.

both of these dishes use Indian spices that will be in your grocery store.

Hope you like 'em!
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Do like a baked potato add butter and cinnamon
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Bake for an hour
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato gnocchi.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Bake, with skin on. Top with nonfat greek yogurt and pepper, or a little dollop of Bolthouse Farms blue cheese yogurt dressing. Yum! :)