Good Pride:Bad Pride Arrogance or Confidence

Options
2»

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on how you come across to other people. On the one hand you have every right to be happy about yourself and your achievements. You worked hard for it and gave it your all. On the other hand, it's really easy for someone to come across as a smug or self satisfied person even when one isn't actually trying to be.

If you really are worried about how people perceive you, you'll probably have to watch how do you come across to other people, especially when it comes to to topics such as health and fitness. How do you react to them and their problems? Do they feel as if you're smug and holier than thou when you say something about excercise, health, food etc.? Do they think you're acting as if you're better than them? I have always been open and available to them if they have asked me questions regarding health or fitness.

I am sure there have been times where I have pushed suggestions a touch further then maybe I should have. Maybe they are still holding negative feelings regarding that.
    I am very supportive of them. I would love for them to become more fit and healthy. To the point where I shut my mouth and just congratulate my mom and dad who are both taking HCG drops. Initially I was adamantly against it and fought them on it but despite the health risks they were getting successful weightloss. No amount of information or debate would sway their thinking so now I just smile and congratulate them on the weightloss they have had.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I lost a bit of weight and completely changed my lifestyle, which resulted in less going out and drinking, more getting up early to go ride bikes and train for triathlons, all things to which my friends were not accustomed. It was a real strain on my relationships. At first, it was because they couldn't handle the change and it was threatening, but the longer it went on, I realized I had become more insensitive and jaded by their reaction to how changes had impacted the them and heightened their insecurities. While it wasn't necessarily my fault and, no, I didn't have to abandon my change for them, I should have made more of an effort to be sensitive to them and their challenges and celebrate my success in ways that didn't alienate them. At the time, I felt like it was their problem and not mine. In hindsight, that didn't remain true and to be a "good" friend, I should have been more sensitive and aware, and less pushy about putting my new lifestyle on them. Just be careful. It's a fine line between arrogance and confidence. If you value your relationships, put yourself in their shoes and imagine how they are feeling and how they may perceive your actions or comments. Not to say there aren't those who are just out to rain on any parade and yes, your friends should be supportive of you and encouraging and celebratory, but make sure you aren't asking too much and that you are giving back equally. Congrats on your success!

I see your point and maybe that has occurred but my family is not normally ultra sensitive like that. I guess maybe I should watch a little closer and see if that is taking place on my end.