Weights necessary????

Options
Are weights necessary to lose weight???? or can I just do it through cardio??? I want to lose a bit from my arms but I've heard that you don't focus on certain areas because you lose weight from all over rather than focussing on one part... not sure. Thanks xx

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Weight training significantly helps with weight loss. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns through the day with less effort.
  • NostalgicDruid
    Options
    It's true that you can't target weightloss, that it comes off everywhere, but using weights will tone your muscles, which can give the appearance of being thinner.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    if you have arms then you don't need weights. Do push ups, reverse push ups (for your triceps), crunches, bicycle crunches, planking. There's a lot you can do with your own weight. But you can pick up a 40lbs set of dumbells at Walmart for $20
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    They're not necessary - but they help!
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My coaches and nutritionists in college always told me to think about it this way: lower body fat percentage is better for your body. We can all agree on that. If you are strength training (with heavy weights) and increasing the amount on muscle you have, but your weight is staying stable or going down, then by default, your body fat percentage is going down. This is what leads to that toned, sculpted look.
    After all, who wants to be "skinny fat"? It's not healthy, and doesn't help you look better naked, to be blunt.
    A great book to read is "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". It has a lot of great info about why women (and men!) should be lifting weights.
  • dtorres21
    Options
    They're very necessary. In fact, you burn more calories in the long term by weight lifting. Think of it this way. Whenever you lift weights, you are creating micro tears in your muscles. In order to repair these micro tears and heal them with new muscle tissue, it takes energy, which in turn burns more calories which in turn helps you lose weight...especially fat weight.
  • lkelly
    Options
    I am a little biased because I <3 weights, but the truth is while weights themselves are not necessary weight training is. Whether the weight is in dumbbell/barbell form or if you simply use your own body is a matter of preference. Weight training burns more calories than just cardio, like dtorres21 said your body needs to repair those micro tears so it will be using calories well after you stop exercising. Cardio only burns calories while you are doing it. It also is beneficial for women to reduce bone density loss, and helps avoid osteoporosis (I really hope I spelled that right, lol). Personally it acts as an appetite suppressant as well, but that isn't a guarantee for everyone.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I weigh what I did in the spring (before I gained my last 10 pounds), but right now I look a lot better because I've been doing weights with cardio. Big difference! Do it!!!