Eggs...how many do you do?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well, I've had 4 today and the day's not over yet!

But really, I eat at least two every day, and I ALWAYS eat the yolk. And I've lost over 50 pounds and gotten SO MUCH healthier doing it. Don't waste the yolks, dudes.
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Research studies have demonstrated that eating cholesterol does not have much effect on the amount of cholesterol you produce and have in your blood. Eating saturated fat has a much greater effect - if you want to reduce blood cholesterol, keep intake of saturated fat low.
  • mothergoosey
    Options
    I have friends totally ripped bit that's all they eat...36 eggs a day...6 eggs, 6 times a day....5 whites n one whole...but the catch is...their raw....they whisk them n drink it....it's gross but u should see how shredded these dudes r
  • mothergoosey
    Options
    Is that a serious post....who advised you that eating bacon n chorizo js a good alternative....or the fact that on any diet its not healthy to eat all that!! Surprised ur numbers werrent wors....chill w the salty fatty meats!!! Those in any way are gross for u!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Research studies have demonstrated that eating cholesterol does not have much effect on the amount of cholesterol you produce and have in your blood. Eating saturated fat has a much greater effect - if you want to reduce blood cholesterol, keep intake of saturated fat low.
    Just what I was going to say. I hate egg whites, but I love my yolks and omelettes! Egg yolks are so full of nutrition, it's a real waste not to eat them based on the outdated idea that the cholesterol in them is bad for you.

This is from the British Heart Foundation:
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx

"A common cause of high blood cholesterol levels is eating too much saturated fat.

However, some people have high blood cholesterol even though they eat a healthy diet. For example, they may have inherited a condition called familial hyperlipidaemia (FH).

The cholesterol which is found in some foods such as eggs, liver, kidneys and some types of seafood eg. prawns, does not usually make a great contribution to the level of cholesterol in your blood. It's much more important that you eat foods that are low in saturated fat. "

Get your eggs in!
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I usually eat two in the morning.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I have friends totally ripped bit that's all they eat...36 eggs a day...6 eggs, 6 times a day....5 whites n one whole...but the catch is...their raw....they whisk them n drink it....it's gross but u should see how shredded these dudes r

The bio-availability of raw eggs are less than cooked eggs, guess your friends need to learn a thing or two about nutrition and salmonella.

I have 6 eggs a day, those omega 3 enriched ones.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat three eggs a day. I like to have a mushroom omelette for breakfast keeps me going all morning. My annual cholestrol tests always come out on the low side.
  • HawaiianTx
    HawaiianTx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting article about eating eggs and weight loss.

http://www.mohrresults.com/mohr-results-weight-loss-2/are-whole-eggs-or-egg-whites-better-for-you/

Research shows eggs boost weight loss!

Another recent study published in the International Journal of Obesity fed subjects an egg based breakfast (2 eggs/day) or a bagel based breakfast for 8 weeks. It’s well known eating breakfast boosts fat loss. This took it one step further.

Their findings?

Those eating the egg based breakfasts had a 65% greater weight loss and 34% greater decrease in their waists.

Sold on the yolks yet?

3 Take Home Points:

Egg yolks provide at least 13 important nutrients – egg whites don’t offer much outside of protein.
    Dietary cholesterol is NOT the devil it was once thought to be.
    Eggs may boost weight loss when compared to a same calorie carbohydrate heavy breakfast
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    1 egg, every day.
  • PreshelledPistachio
    Options
    I eat three eggs at a time (or two if I'm having something else with them but usually I eat them on their own) but that's only about once a week. I often have one egg in a microwave muffin for breakfast.

I would like to eat more but we buy them from a farm rather than the supermarket so it means a special journey.
  • stormy213
    stormy213 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have 4 egg whites every morning. The reason I don't eat the yolk is that I don't like the taste.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    2 once a week.. either poached on gluten free bread or scrambled in microwave (with milk) with bacon and mushroom or tomato at weekend... sometimes I used to use one extra egg to do egg fried rice but not every week and as I've gone low carb I'm no longer having rice with meals.

The yolks the best part I love boiled eggs with toasted soldiers and dipping them in the yolk!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them every day (simply coz I would get bored of them otherwise) but I always have a few eggs at the weekend, either an omlette, scrambled or poached.

I love them and I think they have moved away from the whole "only eat two a week" theory now, and you are actually encouraged to eat as many as u like.

Eggs are amazing.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Just what I was going to say. I hate egg whites, but I love my yolks and omelettes! Egg yolks are so full of nutrition, it's a real waste not to eat them based on the outdated idea that the cholesterol in them is bad for you.

This is from the British Heart Foundation:
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx

"A common cause of high blood cholesterol levels is eating too much saturated fat.

However, some people have high blood cholesterol even though they eat a healthy diet. For example, they may have inherited a condition called familial hyperlipidaemia (FH).

The cholesterol which is found in some foods such as eggs, liver, kidneys and some types of seafood eg. prawns, does not usually make a great contribution to the level of cholesterol in your blood. It's much more important that you eat foods that are low in saturated fat. "

Get your eggs in!

^ This!
    Don't fear the yolk!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love the way a good protein breakfast with Eggs fills me up and keeps me from feeling hungry for a long time!

I make these Breakfast Muffins nearly every Sunday evening, for an "on the go" breakfast during the week - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work! You could also warm up a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese and one of these muffins for an egg burrito.

You can pretty much make the "filling" however you want - this is how I do it....

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

1 medium Chopped onion - I use purple onion
    1 large Red Bell Pepper
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked broccoli
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked spinach
    Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - 4 patties

I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following:

4 whole eggs
    1 1/2 cups "All Whites" - carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs
    10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk.
    (This is my choice - to limit my egg yolk consumption. I do think the yolk is very nutritious, but I wanted these muffins to be lower in calories. If you want you can certainly just use 12 whole eggs instead).

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into each section of the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 375 degrees for 12-18 minutes until eggs are cooked through & tops a bit brown, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. If needed I put the broiler on for the last 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you have chosen to limit your egg yolk consumption.

I put the recipe into my MFP database - they came out to 98 calories per muffin!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-4 whole eggs a day, prob average 15-18 over a week.
    Eggs so nutritious, filling and versatile.
    Never had my cholesterol tested - but having an mot style assessment in next few weeks so will find out!
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    I eat an egg sandwich with 2 eggs every morning and a salad for lunch with a hardboiled egg on it. So I eat at least 19 eggs per week. 3 per day on weekdays and 2 per day on weekends. My total cholesterol is 99. 45 HDL and 44 LDL.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    if im having eggs, i normally have 2. i only eat eggs a couple times a week though