Any advice for a student living in a dorm?

I live in a dorm and all I have is my mini fridge and microwave. I have access to the house kitchen but I'm almost too busy to use it and I definitely do not have enough room to cook things at the beginning of the week. I eat mostly turkey sandwiches with hummus and whole wheat sandwich thins. I also recently bought a carton of egg whites and I find that a quick and easy breakfast to just pour some in a bowl and microwave it. I also have oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm getting kind of tired of eggs and turkey.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I hated that about my dorm last semester...UGH. I like PB and banana sandwiches, Lean Cuisine Market Creations, fruit, apples with PB, nuts, and stuff like that!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Veggie burgers (really almost all of the veggie meats) microwave easily. Also, minute rice, canned or frozen vegetables. Oh..salad mixes and cereal as well. Cereal is a college kid staple food.
  • I don't live in a dorm, but some of the things I eat would be easy for you.

Some of the foods that I eat, that are quick and easy, are:
    -Fiber One Cereal (My favorite is the Honey Clusters)
    -Fiber One Chewy Bars
    -Greek Yogurt
    -Special K Chips (Amazing)
    -Cottage Cheese
    -Any veggies (Walmart has premixed bags of fresh broccoli and cauliflower, and then I dip it in Hidden Valley fat free ranch)

My food diary is open.. Feel free to take a look for some other ideas!
    Good luck!! :)
  • Do a good protein shake. You can get all the nutrition for it and they are fast and easy!
  • You can steam vegetables in your microwave with a little water in the bottom of a tupperware container and a just sitting on top of the container (not sealed), broccoli, squash, zucchini, and I'm sure there's more. I love green beans too and just buy some canned green beans, and if you like southern green beans with like bacon or fat back in them there is a healthy alternative that tastes just as good... it's called Goya ham seasoning packets, there usually near the latin american cuisine in grocery stores and they don't have any calories. Just put one packet per can of green beans, or black beans are really good too although they are higher in calories. Progresso makes some really good low fat soups too... Hope this helps.