Yogurt

Options
Hi all!
I just ordered some homemade yogurt (low fat version) and am wondering if it makes any difference whether it is freshly made or store bought, nutrition-wise? I usually buy Yoplait 98%-99% fat free ones in stores. Does it make any contribution for weight loss purposes?

If anyone has any good recipes for yogurt, please do feel free to share! I usually have them with cereals, nuts and fruits. Feel healthier just eating them! :D

Replies

• daves160
    Options
    The only thing I know about it is that Greek yogurt (the good stuff with 20+ gram's of protein) is far better that you average run of the mill yogurt. It has far more live cultures, enzymes an probiotics that promote health and weight loss. I already mentioned it is far higher in protein as well.

I can't speak for the home made stuff
  • ekusumo
    ekusumo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks Daves106 for your reply!
    Greek yogurt that can be bought in store counts?
    The only thing I know about it is that Greek yogurt (the good stuff with 20+ gram's of protein) is far better that you average run of the mill yogurt. It has far more live cultures, enzymes an probiotics that promote health and weight loss. I already mentioned it is far higher in protein as well.

I can't speak for the home made stuff
  • daves160
    Options
    Sure!
    Fage and Chobani are two well known brands.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    All yogurt is not created equal. Greek yogurt and Icelandic Skyr are the most widely available options that are much better options. Yoplait 99% fat free yogurts often have 20g or more of sugar (same as a fruit-on-the-bottom Greek yogurt), but only a third of the protein content. And the fat-free or low-cal versions of Yoplait (and similar brands) often have artificial sweeteners in them. Greek yogurt usually has 16-20g of protein per serving. Icelandic Skyr has even less sugar because they often sweeten it with agave rather than cane juice (about 9g for the fruity flavors), and this also has about 16g of protein per serving.

I also just find Greek yogurt and skyr to be way tastier, because they are so creamy and delicious-- I really feel completely full after eating a 6oz container of skyr!

Good brands, like mentioned, are Chobani and Fage for Greek yogurt. As far as I know, Siggi's is the only widely distrubted Icelandic skyr. But it's my favorite thing ever to eat for breakfast.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I eat the yo-plait as well. I do not like the Greek one myself. My cousin said that the Stonyfield I think it is better than yo-plait. I've been thinking the same sort-of things as you.

Kelley