what would you all reccommend to lose stomach fat?

Options
Hi -- im 5'4" and 230 lbs. I'm trying to lose weight everywhere but my main concern is my belly. Right now im doing the elliptical and treadmill. Im just wondering if what im doing is right? orr if i should be doing something different mixed iin with what im already doing?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, concentrate on maintaining a consistent caloric deficit and you will eventually lose the belly fat. i would consider adding in some weight training to go with your cardio
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi there I"m Monica

We're about the same size.. I started in June at 5'4'' and 250#.. Now i'm at 208 and it's just melting off me.

I know you'll enjoy the success too if you move move move and watch your cals. :wink:

As for belly fat.. It does melt away but keep doing crunches and walk , swim or bike.. JUST MOVE!

Wishing you the best! :drinker:
  • courtney_leigh09
    courtney_leigh09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice :)
  • dannylives
    Options
    My belly fat be hard to get rid of! (i dont talk like this)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I've recently started noticing my belly fat going away. I'm still fat all over, but it seems like the stomach area is trying to catch up. It'll be different for everyone's bodies, though. Good Luck!
  • Romans624
    Options
    From what I've read/heard, doing weight training with cardio will help prevent the loss of muscle with fat. ONce your tummy is pretty much flat, you can continue to concentrate even more on toning that area with concentrated strength training. but if your tummy isn't flat yet, you can have all the muscle you want under there but it will still not be flat. Like he said the calorie deficit will make it go flat sooner or later, then definition can be seen.

I am sure the library, and online you can find tons of strength training exercises to do depending on whether you have a gym or not.
  • Romans624
    Options
    From what I've read/heard, doing weight training with cardio will help prevent the loss of muscle with fat. ONce your tummy is pretty much flat, you can continue to concentrate even more on toning that area with concentrated strength training. but if your tummy isn't flat yet, you can have all the muscle you want under there but it will still not be flat. Like he said the calorie deficit will make it go flat sooner or later, then definition can be seen.

I am sure the library, and online you can find tons of strength training exercises to do depending on whether you have a gym or not.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, concentrate on maintaining a consistent caloric deficit and you will eventually lose the belly fat. i would consider adding in some weight training to go with your cardio
    This. Strength training will help preserve & define your muscle, as well as helping you burn more calories around the clock. Start lifting!
  • marinah8
    Options
    Follow a clean diet, it always comes down to what you eat. Try changing up your workout, a GREAT way to shed some of that belly fat is by doing Tabata training (high intensity interval training) Push hard for 20 seconds. Rest for 10 seconds, repeat eight times.Total of 4 minutes. Do as many reps as you can in the 20 seconds, take it easy for 10, then push hard for another 20 seconds. Do interval training about 2x a week no need to do it everyday.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • ddsepulveda
    Options
    Hey Courtney,

I'm 5'4 and when I started losing weight I weighed 230 too. I actually started to do workout routines at home. The one I'm doing right now is the regular Turbo Jam. My problem area is my stomach too. These videos target the stomach and also have high intensity workouts built into them. In case you wanna switch it up and try something different.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This. Strength training will help preserve & define your muscle, as well as helping you burn more calories around the clock. Start lifting!

+1

Crunches will NEVER get rid of belly fat. It's the one myth that I hate the most because so many uninformed people believe it.

Belly fat is the same as arm fat, leg fat, neck fat, or any other fat. To get rid of it, eat at a calorie deficit, do weight training, and do your cardio.