Do you buy "goal" clothes?

Options
I don't have any old clothes that I want to fit into again because I'm pretty ruthless about cleaning out the closet regularly. But I'm thinking about buying some rocking jeans or something in my goal size for motivation. The only problem is that I don't know if they'll fit my body type even at a much lower weight. Even at my lightest as an adult I was still 36-26-36. And now I have post-twin belly shifting...

What has been your experience with goal clothing? Did they fit how you wanted them to?

Replies

• dannylives
    Options
    I just bought some Levi's a size too small for next month, BETTER HAPPEN!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I bought some "goal" jeans about 3 years ago now... still haven't been able to wear them and I was 15 pounds lighter when I bought them! I wouldn't do it. It didn't make me more motivated at all.
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I did. I found a really cute pair of jeans that i wanted, but they just weren't so cute in my size. They are sitting on top of my dresser, right next to my bed, challenging me every morning! I'll be in them one day.
  • Romans624
    Options
    I bought something once that I ended up returning because I bought it with the mindset of .... "this is so attractive... its black and it will cover everything up but has lace on it"

I was totally still buying it with a fat mindset. If I were that thin, I could go with something more daring if I wanted to. But if you know there is a brand that you always liked, with a certain cut you typically bought at a lower weight, I'd say its a safe bet.

For me, Low rise levis or other bootcut jeans were generally going to fit. Just depended on whether I had too much or just the right amount of weight on me. If you do it, go with a style, brand, and size you once wore and you can't go wrong. However I haven't done this yet myself.
  • Panthers2010
    Options
    You can... I have, but I have also found that the goal clothes idea doesn't really work. My style changed when I lost the weight before. What I thought I would "love" to wear once I got skinny.. really wasn't what I wanted to wear once I lost the weight. Plus, once I did lose the weight, it was a blast to shop for new clothes.

I have a goal shirt right now in my closet, it hasn't done crap for me in terms of helping me lose weight. I think it actually makes me feel worse about myself every time I see it because I haven't gotten any where near wearing that shirt. Good luck either way though :)
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure, don't buy....I've bought tops etc. but am leaving jean etc. till I'm at my goal weight...mainly because when I do get a pair I want them to fit me, properly. Our body shapes can and do change quite markedly, especially around the bum/thigh area...good luck..:-}
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Of course I do. Then within 2-3 weeks, they fit. :) It helps keep me motivated, especially since I love shopping.
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've tried it once or twice. Both times it ended up being more discouraging than encouraging. It didn't quite fit as well as I would have liked and it also reminds you that you aren't progressing as fast as you'd like.

Instead I look forward to donating clothes that have become too loose. The joy of dropping clothes off at the shelter are a total moral, self esteem and monetary (tax write off) boosters! It also helps keep the closet clean and orderly. It's very satisfying going out shopping for new clothes due to being "too small" for your old clothes.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No. Your body changes so much as you lose weight that even if you can get into those clothes, they might not look right if they're not cut for your body. And you might not end up liking that style on your smaller body as much as you thought you would. It's the same reason I hate to buy anything without trying it on -- it might look cute on the hanger, but it could look really crappy on. And vice versa.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of 38" black Levis pinned to the wall in the closet and when I get into those I will put up a pair of 34". 34" was the size I wore when I was at my healthiest.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I do buy goal clothes, but I don't spend much on them. Mostly because I'm cheap, but also because of exactly what you described...the possibility they don't really "work" when I do end up fitting into them. However, I have a lot more to lose than you so my body shape will be much more different from before to after.

Still, I do keep at least a few items the next size down in my closet at all times, & play dress up every 3-4 weeks. I'm with Panthers though, I don't keep a tons of items because of the style issue. RIght now my focus is necessity/practicality, I only buy a few nice things for the office & maybe going out, but the majority of my clothing is basic clearance rack stuff & I'm ok with that because it's transition clothing. I keep stuff on hand more to assess the changes in my body, since it's easier to notice the difference in how something fits than by taking measurements.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sone good thoughts, thanks.
  • solarix
    Options
    I have some clothes that used to fit me that are now my goal clothes.
    If you think buying goal clothes will motivate you, my suggestion is not to spend a lot of money on them. Or if you do, buy mini-goal clothes rather than ultimate goal clothes.
    What I mean by this is, don't go spend money on a pair of jeans that you can't pull up past your knees, this would perhaps be your ultimate goal size and you won't even know how it will fit when you reach that size. It could also be discouruaging because it can make you feel like you aren't losing fast enough.
    But if you see a pair of jeans that almost fit you, something that lets you see how it will fit your body shape but maybe is too tight, or doesn't zip up completely, I would say go ahead and buy it. You can try it back on in a month and if it fits better, you know you are reaching your goals and could be encouraging.

You could also make wishlists on most websites, I do this a lot. You could have a wishlist for when you lose the next 10lbs, then when you do, you can go back to your wishlist and see if your style or taste in clothing has changed, if not, you can go and try them on and see how you feel.
  • brittmiles07
    Options
    I have my pre-kids jeans sitting out (my absolute favorite pair in a size 9/10, I'm a 14/16 now). If you decide to buy some, I suggest buying them from Kohl's and keeping your receipt and leaving the tags on. Kohl's has no time limit on their return policy, so if they don't fit how you thought they would, then you can exchange them for clothes that do fit! Or buy some at a thrift shop. I find that seeing my old jeans definitely motivates me. Maybe it would work better if I hung them on the refrigerator thought, LOL!