Newbie runner - recurring leg pain

Options
So I was running off and on and recently started running consistently, about 2 weeks ago. I have been running about 5 days a week. I am doing the C25K program and I skipped the first 2 weeks or so and now I'm on week 4. The past 3 runs or so I have been experiencing leg pains on the inside of insides of my shins, right next to the bone. It goes away after a day or so but as soon as I run again it's back, just as before. What is the cause? I've had shin splints before but this feels different, because it's on the inside of my legs. I'm not really sure how to stretch this muscle either... thoughts?

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    You might want to try some new "insoles" for your shoes, from the search I did, that seemed to help alot of people. Maybe better arch support.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Firstly the C25K programme requires you to take at least a one day break in between runs and no more than three runs a week.

Secondly I suggest you see a podiatrist and have custom orthodics made up for your feet IF it turns out you have over/under pronation in the feet.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    you should go to a running shoe store like fleet feet or something similar and have them check your walk/run. it sounds like you're pronating and your muscles may be compensating.. also might i recommend a massage therapist to get those muscles to calm back down so when you get the proper shoes/inserts you will run better.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome aka. shin splints.

I've had them many many times. Check my signature for a link to this topic.
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I have this same thing going on right now. I started C25K and was fine through the first 2 weeks, but have not been able to go into week 3 because of the same issue. Mine is only on my right side. As a student that has taken a couple of A&P courses, my guess is it is my soleus. I have never been a runner and had heard of shin splints, but when I researched info on them everything that came up said that shin splint pain is outside. Now, any impact flares it up. I am still trying to walk briskly and have been doing level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. I am afraid to move up in that too now.

Look forward to any additional advice in this thread! I have high arches but pronate normally, unless I was misinformed. Maybe I need a new shoe again...
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have this same thing going on right now. I started C25K and was fine through the first 2 weeks, but have not been able to go into week 3 because of the same issue. Mine is only on my right side. As a student that has taken a couple of A&P courses, my guess is it is my soleus. I have never been a runner and had heard of shin splints, but when I researched info on them everything that came up said that shin splint pain is outside. Now, any impact flares it up. I am still trying to walk briskly and have been doing level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. I am afraid to move up in that too now.

Look forward to any additional advice in this thread! I have high arches but pronate normally, unless I was misinformed. Maybe I need a new shoe again...

They can be on the inside as well. :wink:
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well I got my shoes at R.E.I. and the man assisting me knew a lot about shoes... He helped me pick out these shoes and I've ran in them before. I'm a normal pronator with a normal arch. I only use my shoes for running and haven't gone even 100 miles. I do notice that I have thin feet and that there's some "room" in the toes of my shoes. I think I might look into getting some running insoles... The shin splints aren't bad enough to cause me to be physically unable to run, and I know the C25K program is only 3x/week, but I want to run more than that. I think I will be taking every other day off and walking instead, as I am running on pavement and I think it's just putting a lot of stress on my legs since I'm running so often. Poo.

I guess I'm pretty determined and don't want to consider "time off" because I don't want to lose all my progress.

Also, I read somewhere that a good trick is to fill a dixie cup full of water and freeze it. Then tear off most of the cup, leaving a little to hold onto, then massage the muscle w/the ice.

Thanks for the information!!
  • Kaecklund
    Options
    A hot bath seemed to take all of the pain away. What a nuisance!
  • Kaecklund
    Options
    So I ran today at lunch and I'm paying for it. I only did half of my run and went straight over to Walmart to get some insoles, which I think will not be effective. I was only able to run 1.5 min/walk 45 sec, and run 3 min before my shin splints were so bad I decided to quit. I hate the thought of not running and losing progress! Grr! My shoes are not that old, less than 100 miles on them! They are Asics road-running shoes (stabilizing) (http://www.rei.com/product/809262/asics-gt-2160-road-running-shoes-womens). I use them solely for running -- pun intended ;]. So I'm really not sure why I'm in so much pain because my training program doesn't seem over the top...

4-5 days/week: (running 1.5 min/walking 1.5 min, then running 3 min/walking 3 min) x2
    4-5 days/week: (running 3 min/walking 1.5 min, then running 5 min/walking 2.5 min) x2 - this is the level I am on. I am about 3 runs into this category and I'm in pain each time I run.

The next morning, shin splints are gone. As soon as my feet hit the pavement I'm in pain again. Today it lasted all evening.

I'm not sure if I'm an overpronator or not, my arch is normal, so no problems there, but when I'm running, I'm not sure what's going on with my feet...

If I keep running, am I potentially looking at stress fractures? How much time off is necessary to heal?
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    sometimes its just the cushioning of the shoes and your feet. My husband bought a pair of shoes at the fleet feet store i mentioned earlier no issues, he has normal pronation, and all that... well he thought he would use the knowledge from that store and buy a pair at the store on base, kinda like walmart. Even though they were the same brand the style was just enough different that it caused the same thing for him, he couldn't run in them at all with out his shins hurting, so he had to break down and go back and get the ones from the other store.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    So I ran today at lunch and I'm paying for it. I only did half of my run and went straight over to Walmart to get some insoles, which I think will not be effective. I was only able to run 1.5 min/walk 45 sec, and run 3 min before my shin splints were so bad I decided to quit. I hate the thought of not running and losing progress! Grr! My shoes are not that old, less than 100 miles on them! They are Asics road-running shoes (stabilizing) (http://www.rei.com/product/809262/asics-gt-2160-road-running-shoes-womens). I use them solely for running -- pun intended ;]. So I'm really not sure why I'm in so much pain because my training program doesn't seem over the top...

4-5 days/week: (running 1.5 min/walking 1.5 min, then running 3 min/walking 3 min) x2
    4-5 days/week: (running 3 min/walking 1.5 min, then running 5 min/walking 2.5 min) x2 - this is the level I am on. I am about 3 runs into this category and I'm in pain each time I run.

The next morning, shin splints are gone. As soon as my feet hit the pavement I'm in pain again. Today it lasted all evening.

I'm not sure if I'm an overpronator or not, my arch is normal, so no problems there, but when I'm running, I'm not sure what's going on with my feet...

If I keep running, am I potentially looking at stress fractures? How much time off is necessary to heal?

You might be trying to run too fast as well. You might have to pull back some. You may have the strength in your legs to go that speed, but the impact might be too much right now...just throwing it out there.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Well I got my shoes at R.E.I. and the man assisting me knew a lot about shoes... He helped me pick out these shoes and I've ran in them before. I'm a normal pronator with a normal arch. I only use my shoes for running and haven't gone even 100 miles. I do notice that I have thin feet and that there's some "room" in the toes of my shoes. I think I might look into getting some running insoles... The shin splints aren't bad enough to cause me to be physically unable to run, and I know the C25K program is only 3x/week, but I want to run more than that. I think I will be taking every other day off and walking instead, as I am running on pavement and I think it's just putting a lot of stress on my legs since I'm running so often. Poo.

I guess I'm pretty determined and don't want to consider "time off" because I don't want to lose all my progress.

Also, I read somewhere that a good trick is to fill a dixie cup full of water and freeze it. Then tear off most of the cup, leaving a little to hold onto, then massage the muscle w/the ice.

Thanks for the information!!
    There's a real reason that C25K has you only running every other day. Your legs and joints need the time to catch up to your cardio progress. Getting out there and pounding the pavement every day is very hard on your legs and feet if they aren't used to the stress, even in good shoes, and yours are not yet ready for every day or even 5 days per week. I'd say "trust me" on this but I think you're realizing the truth of it on your own.

Another issue is the surface on which you are running. Concrete is the absolute worst, asphalt pavement is slightly better, trails or even grass are the best. Running on concrete can definitely contribute to shin splints, even with good shoes. There's absolutely no give. I personally run along the side of the road in my neighborhood, even though there is a perfectly good sidewalk. :)

I'd highly recommend taking a break for at least a few days to let your legs heal and pick back up where you left off, running only every other day, three days per week, until you finish the C25K program. If you want to start some short runs on the days in between at that point, you might be ready for them.

ETA: If you want to keep up the cardio on the days in between, go for it! You'll still build up your endurance by doing something different like riding a bike or swimming, just pick something low impact that lets your joints recover.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    if it persists, try cycling instead. Much easier on the body.

My spin classes are full of ex-runners who don't want to hurt anymore but still want a big bang for calorie burn.

blessings.