Ate like a pig tonight!

And feel really crappy now! I know tomorrow is a new day and all, but whyyy do I always do this?! Every time I go out I eat like that's the only food I will get for a month and then my stomach hurts for hours. I feel gross and sick! What do you guys do to avoid eating huge amounts of food when you go out with friends? (especially sharing things like wings when you can't pack half up, etc) We ALWAYS go places with beer and greasy pub food as a special, so it's even harder to avoid temptation with those! Especially when I loovvee beer :)
Anyways, advice on controlling your appetite when going out? thanks everyone!

Replies

• I try to eat only half of my meal! And I usually make sure I am the one driving so I can stick with just one drink! And, splurging once in a while is ok! Your body needs it, it changes up the metabolism!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    I'll eat before I head out and add the calories I'm planning on consuming ahead of time. This way I'll have an idea of how many calories over my goal if I'm going to drink 2 or 3 bottle of beers. It works for me.
  • Eat like a bird and work like an ant tomorrow!
  • I have one crappy meal a month lol, i splurge on my favorite pizza buffet, and then feel horrible the next day! But i think its okay sometimes, it gives your body a jolt.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    when i go out i tend to get my money's worth, i had a huge meal on sat and then get back on track the next day

but if you're interested in one possible way to go about it

http://www.leangains.com/2010/11/cheat-day-strategies-for-hedonist.html
  • It's actually okay to have "cheat days" as long as it's only once in awhile.
    Give yourself a day out of the week, or month (whichever you're more comfortable with) that you treat yourself to something you've been craving.. That way when you finally do end up eating something you want, you don't over indulge!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    If it's shared food like wings or dip I decide ahead of time how much I want to eat then once I have had this much, I physically move the food away, out of reach.. I have been known to put a menu or empty bottles between me and food so I don't reach out to it mindlessly. My husband thinks this is funny but I don't care!
    And can you order a salad to share too so you can pick out bits of cucumber or tomato while they are all still eating wings?
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Learn how to be stubborn

Acknowledge that you can not make decisions in the past or the future, only in the present: NOW!

Don't beat yourself up over the past. It's ok to pig out every now and then but you're not allow to keep looking back and make yourself feel bad over and over. Acknowledge that one pig out too many was bad and move on.

Don't look into the future and say "I'll start dieting tomorrow". Start right now. Even if your breakfast a pig out and you're up for lunch. Your choice of lunch is before you; don't look at your breakfast (past) and rationalise that since your day is already ruined you may as well pig out for lunch too because you can start your diet tomorrow (future).

What's your next meal choice going to be? This is your opportunity to do the right thing. Live in the present because that's the only time decisions really matter.

Also, just pig out once a week guilt free. Really, it's ok to do that. If that once a week pig out really affects your weight loss then you'll want to cut down on your pig out and you won't need will power. Instead of the three KFC burgers you'll just get one because even though it's your guilt free pig out there'll be a point in your journey where you'll want the weight loss more than the gorging.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Tongue-in-cheek answer: you could have a personal, portable placemat made that showed the nutrition information of the food you're eating. I find that knowing that four fried-and-sauced chicken wing PIECES results in 1100 calories makes them REALLY unappetizing! :-)

Seriously, though -- first, it is ok to have occasional splurge days. It's good for your body to know that you won't starve it. However, if you are eating so much every time you go out that you feel SICK afterwards, that suggests to me that your daily diet is somehow profoundly unsatisfying. I'd address that. Find a way to make your daily diet more satisfying, and those splurge nights won't be such a profound temptation.

For instance, I am zig-zagging my diet. On my higher-calorie days, I'll do things like eat a hefty dose of chicken wings (although that's become less tempting as my body has adjusted to my diet) and even a few potato chips as a treat -- or make myself a burger. It allows me to have treats that I'm craving and still stay within my WEEKLY totals, and that tends to limit insane cravings.

Other than that, every Sunday is my "cooking" day. I cook a week's worth of healthy food from scratch with a wide variety of seasonings and bases. For instance, this Sunday, I came out with lean beef, lean pork, turkey-meat, chicken breast tenders (sauteed), boneless-skinless chicken thighs (rosemary), collard greens, black-eyed peas, spinach sauteed with garlic, cabbage with onions, steamed asparagus, and sauteed mushrooms. Additionally, I have plenty of healthy berries, a few oranges and apples, and greek yogurts -- oatmeal, Kashi cereal, nuts of various kinds, and cottage cheese. Then, I switch up. Every week, I experiment with new seasonings and combinations, but always from scratch and cooked MY way. Thus, my every-day eating is FULL of fairly comforting foods. I don't really crave much unless I'm REALLY starved, because of the variety I am already integrating into my diet (although, once in a while, I'm just not in the mood to be that healthy -- which is usually a sign that I NEED a splurge-day).

Here's another thing. When going out, add in a source of fiber -- often BEFORE you go. For instance, I have found that a cup of rich, heavy green-leafy vegetables (kale, collards) makes me UNINTERESTED in eating for quite some time. Maybe, if you had a bowl of Kashi Go-Lean before y ou left, you would simply find the food unappetizing to EAT.

Anyway, that's a brain dump of possible ideas you could try. Good luck!
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    he bottom line is: you pay for it - one way or another. If I have a splurge day... I count up the calories and "buy it back" at the gym. So... I have "paid" for what I ate. I know if I don't put the extra work in, I will see it on the scale, eventually.
  • maggiedcs
    maggiedcs Posts: 22 Member
    If you take half the calories and put them toward the next days breakfast, you'll realize you really have to cut down on the next few meals. I use that strategy for any food I eat after 8 pm. It made all the difference. Also, eating out with friends is something I had to give up for a while.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Drink lots of water.

Order high volume low cal stuff e.g. I always substitute chips for steamed veggies. (Can't justify the cals for chips when I don't really like them anyway)