Speed of Weight Loss Question

Hey all---Question for you.

One of my big goals is to get down to a manageable weight for a friend's wedding/Disney trip at the end of June.

Right now I'm 289 and my goal is 175. How close do you think I could get to my goal by the end of June?

TIA!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Hey all---Question for you.

One of my big goals is to get down to a manageable weight for a friend's wedding/Disney trip at the end of June.

Right now I'm 289 and my goal is 175. How close do you think I could get to my goal by the end of June?

TIA!
    If you lost 1%-2% of you body weight per week about 70-80lbs if you are consistent.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    In my experience, 1-2lbs a week is more easy to maintain in the long run. Slow and steady! It's taken me just over a year to lose my 48lbs (with 3 months of oops included where I put about 12lbs back on) and I'm looking at another 12 months or so to lose the next 50lbs.

There are people who have done it quicker, but for me, being that strict with diet and exercise isn't manageable. I find it impossible to deprive myself of the things I want, and find that if I do, I end up giving up and binging. I also want my body to shrink less quickly so that I have less baggy skin at the end of all of this!
  • hhogaboam
    hhogaboam Posts: 1 Member
    So, you want to lose 114 lbs to get to your goal. AWESOME! I'm sending you an online hug right now...I'm not a medical professional, personal trainer or any kind of expert, but here are some things that I know have worked for myself and my friends with our goals...

Check in with your doctor, because you are looking at about 9 months to lose the weight. That should average out to about 12 pounds per month or right at 3 lbs per week if I did my math correctly. That's an extremely ambitious, but not impossible goal if you are supremely committed! I applaud you and say go for it, with a couple of suggestions...

1. Like I said, discuss this goal with a medical professional. It's important that he/she test the amount of stress that the exercise you will need to undertake could cause you and the effects it could have on your body as you go through the process.

2. Gather a great support network around you...surround yourself with friends and family and people in this forum who can help you stay on track. If somebody is telling you that it's too ambitious or bringing you down, focus on those around you and yourself, who know that you have what you need to make it happen.

3. You're going to have to build muscle, which will weigh more than fat and will burn fat more efficiently, so look into some form of weight training or exercise bands...no need to spend a ton of money here, there are tons of youtube videos, free resources and other stuff online. I subscribe to oxygen magazine and though I am not nearly as serious as the models in the mag, it sure encourages me when I put the pictures up all around...hey, if those people can do it, so can I, right?! Or, you can always hire someone to help you or bribe a friend who knows how to work out/will commit to working out and pushing you...

4. No kidding here...get enough sleep and drink enough water...I cannot say enough about this one!!! :-) Your body is going to be eliminating all kinds of toxins and other stuff and you need to treat it really, really well while you're on this journey!

5. Finally, and truly important...meditate on what the word "commitment" means to you, be grateful for each day that you can be on this incredible and trans-formative journey, love yourself enough, know that you are enough exactly as you are right now before you even release the weight and be brutally honest when you record your diet and exercise...you don't have any time to lose and you deserve to be honest with yourself and not to cheat or allow yourself any excuses....

If you can do all of that, I can't wait to see where you are with your goal next year and wish you the very best of luck on this road! Be strong and believe it!

- Best,

H