Over 50, need friends to help me start and keep me motivated

Options
Hi there everyone.

Well here is my story. I lost 60 pounds in the year 2004 and kept it off for five whole years! I then lost my job in 2009 and by years end I had gained 35 pounds due to depression. Last year I slowly kept gaining and now I've gained it all back. I've lost my motivation and I'm still kind of depressed but I'm miserable at the same time. I feel like I look like a whale and I just can't get motivated. I am a full-time student and sit most all day at my laptop doing homework in front of my television. My daughter got married 2 months ago and I had started dieting in May and had managed to lose 10 pounds. Well the wedding is over and I've lost my motivation. I have a gym membership at a really fantastic gym and I don't go!! I need help. I really want to feel better but I find myself snacking at 1 a.m. Right now it is 2 a.m. and I have to get up at 7 to go to school and I can't sleep ( the joys of being an older woman) If anyone out there can relate to this I would really love to hear from you!!

Replies

• kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I can relate to wanting to find internal strengh and motivation. Rather than jumping in and trying to lose weight when you're heart isn't in it, set some small simple goals, like logging everything that you put in your mouth and reading several success stories daily. The rest will follow in 3 days or 3 weeks. I promise.
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome , add me. Remember all those times we ate beans and franks, and virtual crap because it was all we could afford when young? We didnt bother craving steak and good stuff, we had to make do? Then we got fat and spoiled. lol! You can go back to eating what you dont really want again, and it wont kill us!
  • mochadamia
    Options
    I somehow have the same experience! I am new here too! And I lost weight years back but it was abrupt so I gained it all back. I was a college student back then and all I ate was crackers and water for the whole 7 days! Well, okay maybe I exaggerated a little bit but seriously, my only reward those days were to eat tuna with the crackers or a bowl of noodle soup. THAT'S IT! For two months, I lost about 50lbs! I did exercise everyday, I was dancing for an hour, sit ups and aerobics for two hours. And in the evening, I'd still do 1 hour of club dancing. So, everybody was shocked and thought I was actually on drugs or something so anyway, after a few years, I gained it all back! And now, I'm trying to lose it all but it is even more difficult because I have a 2 year son. What I do now is have banana for breakfast along with lots of water. Then at lunch, since I am part Asian, rice is really a must for a meal but I skip rice and just have protein, like half of the chicken breast and for snack, I munch on an apple. If i get hungry I'd eat boiled cabbage or even sauteed with olive oil. That's it... and I am under my calorie intake everyday :( So im afraid Im doign the wrong thing again but I wanna lose weight before Christmas!!!!

I want to lose weight and actually maintain it this time! Why? because it boosts your self-esteem, most clothes fit you or should I say you wouldn't have a hard time looking/fitting some clothes. And c'mon, i don't want to be a hypocrite but, you know,,, so you can get guys to check on you too!!! And oh, you know it is nice to get compliments when you look good! So c'mon let's do this together!!!!
  • Ck228
    Ck228 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am just a few months away from 50 with over 60 lbs to loose. I am just aobut 1 month into this and I am trying really really hard. I live with my husband and 3 yr old 4 legged fur baby. My husband and I work crazy hr. We only have 1 car between us. I have to be at work at 5:45 am and he dont have to be at work till 7 am. I get off at 2 and he dont get off till 7. Somehow we are making it work. I get up every day at 10 till 3 and do 2 miles with a Leslie Sansone walking video. Then shower and a little computer time. Luckly my husband is able to go in early. (some days he can leave by 6:30) Most night we wind up going to Shoneys and get salad bar for dinner. Here lately I have been going back for a plate of vegtables after my salad. Yes that does include mashed pot with gravy. (I know I know its bad). I am trying to hit the park after work and get some walking in with the fur baby about 3 times a week. He is not a good power walker he likes to make too many little stops. I have been thinking about starting the c25k but so afraid of failing. My secret goal is to become a runner. Feel free to add me and we can support each other.