plant based protiens

Options
so other then soy beans and other legumes what plant foods have the highest amounts of protein? Can you reach your protein goals by eating only plant based foods? If so, what are some yummy recipes for me to try out?

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Still a legume but dahl with lentils or splitpeas is always a winner for me. Can you eat dairy? That's a good source too.

I'll post a couple of recipes a little later :-)
  • emma1488
    Options
    I use a pea protein powder after my strength training. Otherwise I eat a lot of tofu, tempeh, nuts, whole grains etc.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Nuts! Esp walnuts and almonds.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds. If you like fake meat (i do!) quorn is great. Eat a good range of beans and lentils. Frozen broad beans and peas are great. Most wholegrains contain protein, anddont forget the wonder that is quinoa.

To reach protein goals, i make sure i have some protein with every meal, and i mix sources.

A yummy bean sAlad makes a great packed lunch, for instance, and delivers a huge protein punch.
  • ennaejay
    Options
    pumpkin seeds are a recent favorite "find"... super high in iron too & heart healthy fats

::edit:: I had 2 T. roasted pumpkin seeds with my coffee this morning and it was 7g protein, 25g iron, 14g good fat, and 150 cal. Great post-workout snack or evening snack or between-meals snack or early morning snack, did I mention these things are my new favorite? all in balance of course :-D
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hemp is a great protein source and you can get plenty of protein on a vegan diet. It is a complete protein, has the perfect ratio of omega 3's and 6's, has plenty of iron and calcium, plus more. It is a super food. Just add it into a smoothie!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Hemp is a great protein source and you can get plenty of protein on a vegan diet. It is a complete protein, has the perfect ratio of omega 3's and 6's, has plenty of iron and calcium, plus more. It is a super food. Just add it into a smoothie!

I remember you mentioned this once before. Can you do anything with it other than the smoothie? (I don't like smoothies!). Are the seeds palatable toasted, for instance?
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options

I remember you mentioned this once before. Can you do anything with it other than the smoothie? (I don't like smoothies!). Are the seeds palatable toasted, for instance?
    You can add the seeds to salads, stirfry or oatmeal. They have a great nutty flavor. Just remember to add them after cooking as heat destroys the good fats in them
  • meerkat70
    Options

You can add the seeds to salads, stirfry or oatmeal. They have a great nutty flavor. Just remember to add them after cooking as heat destroys the good fats in them

Ah ok - like flax seeds in that regard? I'll not toast them then!

Thanks, I think I'll head to Julian Graves when I pick up the small girl this afternoon.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My wife is a vegan and she uses quinoa in her meals due to it being a good source of protein.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    My wife is a vegan and she uses quinoa in her meals due to it being a good source of protein.
    Quinoa is a complete protein also and yummy! Just use it instead of any rice or pasta dish
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just made some homemade marinara sauce(sweetened with fresh pinapple), Has 1g of protien per 1/4C. Also Spinach, Broccoli, and Kale are good sources of plant based protien,
  • ohdearlaura
    ohdearlaura Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Darker green plants, eggs (I like to eat egg whites in the morning, it's only like 45 calories for 3 plus some tomato), tofu, seaweed, etc.
    Some actual vegetarian options I like are things like Quorn chicken cutlets. You microwave those for I think no more than 2 minutes and they're done. Smart Dogs are vegetarian hot dogs that taste pretty bomb. They're similar to hot dogs from what I can remember (It's been about eight years, but my boyfriend agrees that they do, and he eats meat) though not quite the same texture. But they're like 45 calories each dog which is AWESOME.
    I like to eat edamame, which is just steamed soy beans topped with a bit of salt. Yum :). I sprinkle sunflower seeds on my salads.
    Lots of things you wouldn't even think have protein in them. Even being vegetarian as long as I have I seem to go over in protein every day without even thinking about it.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Darker green plants, eggs (I like to eat egg whites in the morning, it's only like 45 calories for 3 plus some tomato), tofu, seaweed, etc.
    Some actual vegetarian options I like are things like Quorn chicken cutlets. You microwave those for I think no more than 2 minutes and they're done. Smart Dogs are vegetarian hot dogs that taste pretty bomb. They're similar to hot dogs from what I can remember (It's been about eight years, but my boyfriend agrees that they do, and he eats meat) though not quite the same texture. But they're like 45 calories each dog which is AWESOME.
    I like to eat edamame, which is just steamed soy beans topped with a bit of salt. Yum :). I sprinkle sunflower seeds on my salads.
    Lots of things you wouldn't even think have protein in them. Even being vegetarian as long as I have I seem to go over in protein every day without even thinking about it.

I love edamame, I eat it almost every day if I can. Going to try out the quinoa never had it before. sounds good. Thanks guys!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and soy are about your only options for complete proteins. Nuts and seeds are good sources of fats, but most plant proteins are incomplete. Also, iron is absorbed less efficiently from plants, so you'll need lots of vitamin c with every meal. If you're planning on going vegan, talk to a doctor first. You may need iron and vitamin b supplements. Becoming anemic is no fun.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and soy are about your only options for complete proteins. Nuts and seeds are good sources of fats, but most plant proteins are incomplete. Also, iron is absorbed less efficiently from plants, so you'll need lots of vitamin c with every meal. If you're planning on going vegan, talk to a doctor first. You may need iron and vitamin b supplements. Becoming anemic is no fun.

Thats true, I have been anemic before when I had my children and was breastfeeding. It wasnt fun. I will talk to my dr first. Maybe I will be mostly vegan with one meat day a week.