NSV For me!!!

Options
Quick back story then on to the NSV.

About the end of May I downloaded and started doing C25K. It was brutal to start with but I was determined to do this. I've never seen myself as a runner but had high hopes.
Jump 2 weeks ahead to Thursday, June 9th, I've taken a friend up on their offer of playing competitive badminton. We go to the rec centre, get all signed in and he asks 2 friends to help us 'warm up' and to give me the chance to get the hang of it. I was doing really well, we were about 10 minutes into practice when I ran back for a shot, planted my feet and reached up and back. I over extended myself and there was this terrible separation sensation in my left knee and I crashed onto the floor. Fast forward to doctor visits and an MRI, I tore my MCL, ACL and Meniscus.
I have opted for intensive therapy to avoid surgery, I don't ever care if I play badminton again. I have been through crutches, physical therapy, constant pain and my knee swelled up a few weeks ago to well over twice it's size and I had to have it drained. All the while I have been watching what I ate and managed to still lose a bit of weight. I've been back at the gym and almost back to the level I was before my injury.
So 2 days ago I decided I am going to start running again. My doctor said running is a safe exercise as long as I'm not doing obstacles or zigzagging. This morning I re-downloaded C25K, put on my shoes, went to the football pitch and I ran. It's only week 1 but I did it! I've got an ice pack on my knee at the moment just to be sure and I plan on a couple of ibuprofens after my shower, but I did it. And I will do it again on Thursday and so on and so on. :bigsmile:

Replies

• jennyocox
    Options
    Well done!!! You are amazing!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Such a great attitude!!! Trust me, once you finish C25K, the sky is literally the limit!!! I did the program a little over a year ago and just ran my first half marathon this weekend!!! My friends all tell me they want to be as athletic as I am... I've NEVER been an athlete, and I LOVE it!!!!

Good luck... keep on running!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A mixture of congrats on your run and so sorry to hear about your knee. That must have been horribly painful. I wish you the best as you heal up.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Your knee injury sounds so horrific, and to come back from that the way you have done is remarkable! Well done!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Well done :flowerforyou:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Aww thanks everyone! This has been on heck of a crazy ride, but I am determined to stay on for the long haul.
  • Suzymo3
    Suzymo3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job! Keep up the determination!
  • debswebby
    Options
    I am so so proud of you.
    I love you xxx
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Such a great attitude!!! Trust me, once you finish C25K, the sky is literally the limit!!! I did the program a little over a year ago and just ran my first half marathon this weekend!!! My friends all tell me they want to be as athletic as I am... I've NEVER been an athlete, and I LOVE it!!!!

Good luck... keep on running!

I agree with this comment completely. I just finished C25K and have started Bridge to 10K and I've never felt better. It really works to build up your endurance. I'm a pretty slow runner but I have been able to increase my speed as well as my distance. Keep u the good work!!!
  • jeff261159
    Options
    Well done, that's what you call determination x
  • TL136
    TL136 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not only is your story amazing and I am so happy for you, but hearing everyone's responces to c25k is great. I am on wk3. I can't remember the last time I ran for 3 mins. straight. I dream of running 3 miles everyother day.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Awww thanks Debs I love you more! But you already know that since you are my biggest inspiration :) Hearing all the positives about C25K is really great and I told hubby about it and he wants to do it as well, so he is going to run with me on Thursday! Thank you everyone for your truly kind words, it really motivates me to be a better me! TL136 keep it up and well done, 3 minutes straight is scary for me to think about.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!