Calculating SPinrts into Cals burned

Options
I don't need anything crazy but I want some damn credit for the sprints I ran.
Anyone have any idea? I don't see much in the database and and having hard time on net

I know its based on size but just looking for converter for 100 yard sprints

Thanks

Replies

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would think the most accurate way to calculate it would be with a HRM. Otherwise You're probably just going to have to enter it as running. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sprinting is an anarobic activity much like weight lifting so per 100 yards you would not burn that many cals, if it took you 15 seconds you may have burn 3-5 cals per sprint, if it took you longer maybe 4-6 cals. So if you did 10 of these I would guess you burned 30-60 cals as you would have only run for 150 seconds or so.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That has to be 100% false

I ran 100 yard sprint, walked across football field then ran another 100
    Repeated
    It took around 20 minutes.

I never felt so helpless. If I burned 60 calories I am going to walk off my building
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    and for that reason I don't think HRM's would be very accurate for cals burnt (for the same reasons they aren't for resistance training).
  • erickirb
    Options
    That has to be 100% false

I ran 100 yard sprint, walked across football field then ran another 100
    Repeated
    It took around 20 minutes.

I never felt so helpless. If I burned 60 calories I am going to walk off my building

There are other benefits to sprinting besides just calorie burn and I only am talking about the caloric burn during the sprint portion, not the walking around waiting to go again. Think about it, say you burn an average of 20 cals/min sprinting but only run for 15 seconds, that would be a burn of 20/4 = 5 cals/sprint. Then you would have to add your walking to that total burn, to get totals for the workout.

even if yo averaged 50 cals/min sprinting over 1 sprint that would be 12.5 cals (50/4)

I agree with Chris that HRMs would not be entirely accurate for this activity, but would be better than any other guess.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I am just thinking about using the weight lifting formula I use everyda for my sprint session. 200 cals roughly
    I need my cals to eat mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
  • erickirb
    Options

Good read, but it mentioned sprinting for 20 minutes, if you can do it for 20 minutes, it is not a sprint. Most people have trouble sprinting for longer than 20-30 seconds at a time. So what this article suggested was intervals, similar to HIIT but the recovery even less intense.

I use to be a sprinter and we would warm up by jogging 1/2 mile, then some acceleration, then stretching, then you get into the workout. The workouts would be anything from running 30 x 60meters (1 min break between runs in 3 sets, 5 minute breaks between sets), 12 x 100 done in 2 sets with2 minute breaks between runs and 5 minutes between sets) meters, 8 x 200 meters (3-4 minute breaks between runs), or a combination where you run pyramids 60 - 100 - 120 - 100 -60 and you would do 3 sets of these. So you do burn a bunch of cals as you are moving between sets and you do so many sprints that the calorie burn adds up. And like with strength training your body will continue to burn hours after you have finished vs. only minutes with traditional cardio.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    AWesome Awesome Awesome

I mean we all know sprinting is awesome. I just wanted to get some credit in MY FIT PAL
    I could careless if it was accurate

I took regimen from my boy. I thought 1 up and 1 back was 1 but I really did 16 100 yard sprints and in between 50 yard walks to the other side. I was FLABBER WHATCHA MA CALL IT.
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    My regimen tue and thur will be utlimately 20 100 yard sprints. After the 100 I will drop and do 25 pushes
    Repeat

Do I just say its 250 cals? Thats a safe bet

I will do 2 mile jog before hand as soon as I start to work this thing a bit.
  • mothergoosey
    Options
    U do the full 3 miles, 2.5 warmup, then the sprints pushups n leg lifts n post. 5 mile, ur burning way more than 250 cals dude! U burning more than that just on the pre m post jog!!! If it take u an hour to do the whole thing ur pushin at least 750....
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    There you are!!! Nice Mikey Boy

Nice addition to the posts bro!!!!!

Thanks
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    What I basicly did was 16 100 sprints nothing else. I want to add in the warmup run and pushes eventually but for now I will do warm up jog and 20 sprints.

I guess in theory your doing 2000 yard which is 1.14 miles. Full Sprint I must be doing 10 mph no?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how quick do you run it? Say 15 seconds.

2000m / 300 seconds = avg speed of 6.66metres/sec.

6.66*60secs*60mins =23976m or 23.976km/h or 14.98mph.

I think I got that right :tongue:
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    @ChrisD-So scared to figure that out!!! If I run a 6 second 40 I might kill myself but if I could guess I would say anywhere from 12-15 seconds. Stamina is an issue for sure. I am not doing it twice a week, 1 mile job 10 100 yd sprints. I need to increase the total amount of sprints but its coming.

Nice formula!!

Its nice to know this stuff but I guess at this pt I don't need to know for the sake of eating the cals because I am no longer at this bit eating my workout cals.......

Thanks bro
  • LagputLew
    LagputLew Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Did you guys ever get an estimated calculation for this?

Thanks for the help.