Motivation Needed!

Options
Good morning Friends! I am in serious need of a jump start. I was doing GREAT from around April when I started with MFP until the beginning of August. I was loving the "new me".

I loved to work out, I was eating great and cut a lot of the bad foods out of my diet. I posted 3 month pictures and update on my blog in July and was shocked at the response from people. You would have thought that it would have inspired me to keep pushing. However, once I started getting so many great responses (on here and in real life) about what I had done I started to feel a little better about myself and frankly I was exhausted and the need to keep pushing so hard subsided.

I am only about 1/2 way to my goald at 30lbs down. I still would like to lose another 30+. I jogged/walked my first 5K this August and I was content that I had finished with a decent time, but I want to do better. I think about how I felt in the previous months, both physically and mentally, and I miss that. However, I also know that I can not keep up with that significant of a lifestyle change for forever. I was working out multiple times a day and cut all coffee and soda out of my diet. I have a husband that had an hour plus commute to work, I work full time, with a free lance photography business on the side. I have two young sons and between church, PTA, school, and extra activities we really are pretty busy people. I need to get back on it...I know that I"ll be happier when I do, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated.

My current MFP friends have been great! They have stood by me and supported me and I SO appreciate that. Now I'm wondering if anyone else out there has any advise or would like to be part of my support system. I'm really feeling like I need someone to hold me accountable. I don't like feeling guilty when I eat poorly or don't log, however maybe what I like and what I need are two different things. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• wavscaper
    wavscaper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey you!

I don't know if this is motivational or not, but here goes nothing! I have been losing weight for five and a half years. I've probably lost over 100 pounds. I don't know for sure, because I never weighed when I was at my heaviest. I just walked, ate better, and started to lose inches. I've now lost five, (and sometimes six) pants sizes.

Now. five and a half years later...My mother is ill, and in a nursing home. I go to see her every day. I work second shift 3-11p and start all over again. not a lot of time to exercise. BUT. I try to fit in a mile walk with my doggies. Hand weights, and ab crunches in any ten minutes I have through the day, and I keep eating right.

I've lost 30 pounds since April 27 that way. don't worry about fast. Don't worry about what other people think. Eat good, tasty foods. make yourself happy. I could use another 30 or so pounds according to doctors and society. But I feel SO much better now. I'm not going to let anyone tell me how much I should weigh, or how fast I should get there.

Good luck!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I have a picture of myself when I was the most fit hanging by where I work out as well as a pic of my kids...I went through the same thing and I always do...As soon as I lose some I slip a little in my diet and then start not caring...try thinking of it as a lifestyle change instead of a diet...Treat yourself with a new outfit or something you've been really wanting with each goal you meet..You can do it! We're all here for you!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Hey you!

I don't know if this is motivational or not, but here goes nothing! I have been losing weight for five and a half years. I've probably lost over 100 pounds. I don't know for sure, because I never weighed when I was at my heaviest. I just walked, ate better, and started to lose inches. I've now lost five, (and sometimes six) pants sizes.

Now. five and a half years later...My mother is ill, and in a nursing home. I go to see her every day. I work second shift 3-11p and start all over again. not a lot of time to exercise. BUT. I try to fit in a mile walk with my doggies. Hand weights, and ab crunches in any ten minutes I have through the day, and I keep eating right.

I've lost 30 pounds since April 27 that way. don't worry about fast. Don't worry about what other people think. Eat good, tasty foods. make yourself happy. I could use another 30 or so pounds according to doctors and society. But I feel SO much better now. I'm not going to let anyone tell me how much I should weigh, or how fast I should get there.

Good luck!

Thats amazing! Great job!
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    Thank you both for taking the time to respond. :) Yes, both of your responses were motivational. I have always thought ot this as a lifestyle change. Every change I made was done so with the intent of it being a change I knew that I could keep. That was easier said than done. :) I still feel that way...and I do believe that I am still living it in many ways. My thinking is still very in tune to what's healthy/unhealthy it's just now when I am making those unhealthy choices I know they're unhealthy and I'm making them anyway. ha. I do think that easing back into it is going to be my best bet..I just need to take those first couple of steps to get there. Thank you again! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
  • PrfctGdess
    Options
    I think you should just start putting a bit more in a little at a time - you're already more focused on nutrition, so start telling yourself you HAVE to get in 15 mins of exercise every day (or 30 mins 3x a week, Zumba 1-2x /week, whatever you want, just start slow). I'm amazed (and so proud!) that you kept up the pace you did for as long as you did!!! But maybe by starting again slower, you'll fit more in without feeling like you HAVE to keep that momentum all the time. You look great, and i know you'll reach your goal. I have faith in you :D
  • wavscaper
    wavscaper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey you!

Good luck!

Thats amazing! Great job!

Thanks Shannon
    I appreciate it
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I lost 128 pounds in a year. The way I started was to give myself 5 weeks of doing my own diet hardcore without cheating once and see what the results were, if they were good I'd continue..if not I could at least say I'd tried. I lost 7-8 pounds the first couple of weeks then 3-4 a week from then on. That spurred me on and I continued until I got to the point I realised I needed to exercise or I would be in trouble, I went to the gym for a couple of months, then I got asked to do a bike ride with 24 hours notice, 61 miles from Manchester to Blackpool on a girls bike way too small for me. I completed it and decided I wanted to do more charity events so recently I've done the Urbanathlon, a triathlon and the Manchester 100 mile bike ride. I also now bike 20 miles a day round trip to work to keep fit.

Hope that motivates you enough!