Recipe Swap Week 2

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Recipe swap is a fun group where every week two recipes are shared by our members to be cooked by everyone else in the group!

Recipe Swap Week 1: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347645-recipe-swap
If you make a recipe from week 1, please post your review of it on this post.

THIS WEEK INSKYDIAMONDS AND SWEETIEPIE31612 ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SHARING RECIPES FOR THE REST OF THE GROUP TO MAKE.

Hopefully the recipes are posted today or tomorrow.

1. Sign up by making a post in this thread and I will add you to the member list.
2. Every week there will be TWO recipes/meals submitted by two members. Each member of the community should make the recipe and post their opinions about the recipe/meal, changes they may have made, etc.
3. Each week there will be a new recipe swap post on the MFP boards. This post will be the place that the members responsible for the recipes for the week will post them as well as the place where you should comment about the recipes/meals you cooked. If you make any substitutions or other changes in the recipe, tell us that as well. And by all means, if you take pictures and want to share them, do!

For more information and for the recipes from last week and the member list, check out here: https://docs.google.com/a/u.pacific.edu/document/d/1fqBAaFmtHqOq76VlmyASTE8LX-FnUnYWCYY7QTu6q1o/edit?hl=en_US

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    Options
    RECIPE 1:

Hoisin Noodles with Turkey and Green Beans

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut in half
    3 packages ramen noodles, with the spice pack discarded
    1/2 cup hoisin sauce
    juice from 1 small lime
    3 tbsp garlic chili paste
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 lb ground turkey (or other protein choice)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    8 stalks green onion, chopped

DIRECTIONS
    1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the green beans for 6 minutes. Add the ramen and boil for 4 more minutes. Drain.

2. In small bowl combine the hoisin sauce, lime juice, and chili paste.

3. In a skillet heat the olive oil. Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook until tender. Add the green beans and ramen and stir to combine. Add the green onions and combine more.

* This makes 4 servings.

If you're interested, I've made the recipe before: http://lawstudentscookbook.blogspot.com/2011/08/hoisin-noodles-with-turkey-and-green.html
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    insky, it looks great... a couple of questions though:
    1. Can I use udon noodles instead? We have a bunch of those already...
    2. Where do I find hoisin sauce? Can we make it with honey, pb, and soy sauce?
    3. can we just use garlic? my DH doesn't do well with chili

I think we'll try it with pork this week, thanks!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    insky, it looks great... a couple of questions though:
    1. Can I use udon noodles instead? We have a bunch of those already...
    2. Where do I find hoisin sauce? Can we make it with honey, pb, and soy sauce?
    3. can we just use garlic? my DH doesn't do well with chili

I think we'll try it with pork this week, thanks!

Yeah! Udon noodles would be great, actually.

You can buy hoisin sauce in the grocery store, but if you want to make it at home I saw this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/hoisin-sauce-recipe-443956 which is essentially the combination you said. Or you could just use soy sauce, it's just the sauce wouldn't be quite as sticky or thick.

And definitely! I would just mince the garlic. The chili garlic sauce makes it spicy, but if you want to kick that spice, substituting for garlic cloves would definitely work.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I saw your post that says hoisin sauce can be bought at the grocery. Where exactly would I find it (sauce isle, international food isle, organic section)? Just thought I would ask! Sounds great!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I saw your post that says hoisin sauce can be bought at the grocery. Where exactly would I find it (sauce isle, international food isle, organic section)? Just thought I would ask! Sounds great!

In the store I shop in there's an Asian section. So probably the international food isle, around the soy sauce and other Asian sauces.
  • labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    this looks fantastic! do you happen to have the nutrition facts?
  • Emi_Pie
    Options
    I love Asian- yum!
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Recipe #2 - Stuffed Chicken

1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
    1 tsp EVOO
    3-4 Tbs. of soft Goat Cheese
    1 lb. boneless skinless Chicken Breasts

Preheat oven to 375. Make a long incision along the length of each chicken breast to create a pocket and then open it up and pound out the chicken. Combine the pesto and soft goat cheese in a small bowl and spread a portion of the mixture onto one side of the opened chicken breast. Fold the chicken back over and place in pan. Repeat for each breast. If there is any leftover pesto/goat cheese mixture left, spread onto the top of each chicken breast in the pan. Drizzle some olive oil over the breasts and bake for 40-50 mins. Makes 3 servings at 313 calories a piece. I usually serve with a big salad and warm bread.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    this looks fantastic! do you happen to have the nutrition facts?

If you made it exactly how I made it it was 526 calories, 66 carbs, 80 cholesterol, 21 fat, and 30 protein.
    To cut it back on calories you could:
    - use less hoisin sauce, maybe use soy sauce instead
    - use less meat (or maybe even none) and add different vegetables - it would be good with bell peppers and other crunchy veggies
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    sweetiepie31612, I'm adding your recipe to the google doc right now!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I'm making my meal plan tomorrow with these recipes :)
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! Can you add me to the list? I'd like to join..

Thanks!
    emily
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I think I'd like to join too!!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Both of you are added!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Any plans to make either of these recipes?
  • pixiechick8321
    Options
    I'm shopping today for all the recipes I haven't done yet - super excited to try them out though! Will update when we make them.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    On Tuesday I'll be making the stuffed chicken recipe.
    Excited!
  • stefnicole
    Options
    I'm going to try to make the green bean recipe tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll let you all know how it goes!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Soooo behind on the recipes and they all look so good! Purchased the hoisin sauce so that is probably next followed by the stuffed chicken. Can't wait!
  • pixiechick8321
    Options
    So I made the recipe from insky....with several changes.

I used pork as my meat instead of ground turkey (my DH doesn't like ground meat)
    I used a homemade sauce that DH did - peanuts, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, and the lime from the recipe - it was quite good
    I used udon noodles instead of raman - they turned out well and soaked up the sauce nicely.

So my meal was a bit different but same types of flavors ;-)

It was quite a bit, caloriewise, thanks to the noodles (and wine we had to drink)....nearly 500! But very filling and good flavorwise. Similar to things we've made before but the twist of lime was good and we will probably try that again.