Jacks Beef Jerkey

2»

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Make your own. It is 10 times cheaper and healthier because you can control the sodium.

You can make it in your oven set at 200 and the door open a couple of inches or a dehydrator costs about $40 which is about 5 bags of store jerky.

I made 8 pounds of this recipe and gave it friends. they said it was better than anything from a store.

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak (Top round work well too just be sure to cut it with the grain)
    2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon honey (I add a little more for sweetness)
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I triple this for heat.)

I use low sodium soy sauce.

Also, I typically use top round instead of flank because it is cheaper. your butcher will probably cut it up for you for free.

Thanks for the recipe; I don't normally worry about sodium, however, I was curious about the sodium content given this thread so I plugged the recipe into the tool here on myfitnesspal and got 1 oz serving (asuming that 2 pounds of flank steak will give you 8oz of Jerky) had 1442 mg Sodium... there are lots of variables here: I may be wrong about the ratio of raw meat to dry and the assumption that all of the ingredients make it into the final product... You might get better results with low sodium soy sauce... but I don't normally worry about sodium :-)
  • I am pregnant and MUST watch my sodium intake so I'll try to make my own with the shared recipe. Thank you so much!
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Bump
This discussion has been closed.