Disillusioned & Disappointed by my Yoga class...

AJCM
AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I went to yoga class today, worked to what I thought was "pretty hard", and in the end, according to my heart rate monitor, only burned 250 calories in an hour class!

I burned 270 this morning during a 25 minute run!

I'm just down because with time tight, I really have to think about how much "bang for my buck" I get out of my workouts!

Anyone else had this experience with yoga? Should I be trying a more intense form of yoga?
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AJCM
    I went to yoga class today, worked to what I thought was "pretty hard", and in the end, according to my heart rate monitor, only burned 250 calories in an hour class!

I burned 270 this morning during a 25 minute run!

I'm just down because with time tight, I really have to think about how much "bang for my buck" I get out of my workouts!

Anyone else had this experience with yoga? Should I be trying a more intense form of yoga?
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Count this as a toning exercise, not cardio.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I don't burn many calories in yoga either, but you can't compare cardio to strength training. (This is why I've been absent from yoga lately myself.)
  • cjbranson
    cjbranson Posts: 121
    Right now I'm doing P90X and there is a DVD called Yoga X that we do. It is crazy hard and I sweat more with that than I do any of the others. It's the fist time I've ever done yoga really and while it's not the easiest thing for me to do, I'm not going to give up on it. I know it helps stretch and lengthen muscles which will give you more flexibility and nice tone. I'm looking forward to seeing if it really works! :wink:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Oh yeah, Yoga is not a calorie burner. I need it for my peace of mind and flexibility. I do it after a hard work out for a good stretch and relaxation. :tongue:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    I think with yoga you have to look at as relaxation, lengthening your muscels and building strength. It's not really about burning alot of calories type exercise. But I think a mixture of different type of exercises is most benefical for the body but if time is a problem and doing yoga is not worth it then maybe put on the back burner for now. I wonder if pilates burns more?

-Adrienne:heart:
  • Dont get discouraged because the calories burn isnt hard, think of all the other benefits of yoga. It tones your body, centers you mind and soul and is for relaxation. If you want to SWEAT, try HOT YOGA where they keep the room 160 degrees+. Thats intense! I take yoga to feel calm, not to burn the calories. Its a great strength training and toning class, so it goes hand in hand with your running!
  • focus on all the other great benefits you got from it .. destressing, feeling good about yourself. so yes low on calorie burn .. but good in other ways .. so still good for you!!
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Yoga may not be a big calorie burn... but the benefits it yields for the body make it all the more well worth it.
  • AJCM
    THANKS everyone! :flowerforyou:
    Good ways to look at it! It's not just about calorie burn - and I did feel amazing after leaving (until the daycare there told me my 2 year cried on and off for the full 60 minutes!) :ohwell:
    Right now I'm doing P90X and there is a DVD called Yoga X that we do. It is crazy hard and I sweat more with that than I do any of the others. It's the fist time I've ever done yoga really and while it's not the easiest thing for me to do, I'm not going to give up on it. I know it helps stretch and lengthen muscles which will give you more flexibility and nice tone. I'm looking forward to seeing if it really works! :wink:

Yeah - I can relate - during the strength portions of the class my heart rate is up and my muscles shake!! I was just so disappointed with the overall calories burned...
    :cry:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Yoga does NOT burn a lot of cals but when I was doing 2/3 yoga classes a week, I was stronger and leaner than I have ever been. My schedule does not let me get there that many times a week anymore, but I sure wish it did.

Keep going and just plan on doing some cardio before or after to get some extra burn.
  • AJCM
    Yoga does NOT burn a lot of cals but when I was doing 2/3 yoga classes a week, I was stronger and leaner than I have ever been. My schedule does not let me get there that many times a week anymore, but I sure wish it did.

Keep going and just plan on doing some cardio before or after to get some extra burn.

Thanks Bamboo! I do need to focus on the overall, instead of just the immediate numbers....
This discussion has been closed.