Starving

Options
I've been working out now for about 5 weeks and trying to eat often, right and healthy. It seems like the last couple of weeks, I grow hungrier and hungrier, to the point that I am eating something every two hours. Does that happen to anyone else? Is that my metabolism speeding up or my sub-conscience working against me? I am, after all, a stress eater.

Replies

• racha2424
    racha2424 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I eat around every 2-3 hours. I just plan my snacks and meals around that. :smile:
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    same thing happened to me its just your body adjusting to the changes it will slow down eventually and what used to feel hungry to you will just feel normal. changing eating habits is hard on the body give yourself time to adjust but don't give up. make sure you eat plenty of protein and fiber. that will keep you fuller longer.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    I think it happens to most people. It definitely happened to me where when I had worked out and had a zero calorie deficit, I was still famished. I ended up gorging myself on Ramen Noodles and Tostitos at midnight the first time it happened. I think (and this is my personal thought, not any nutritionist's advice or anything) that dieting can shock your system if you go from doing whatever you want to monitoring everything, having nutrition rich foods, exercising, etc. I follow the "it's better to just keep getting back on the horse" philosophy, meaning if you need an extra snack, call it a lost day and come back strong tomorrow. Stressing is the worst thing you can do for your health.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    A personal trainer told me I should be eating every 2-3 hours. It keeps your metabolism revved. Just watch what you eat. Higher protein works well for me and keeps me fuller longer, high fiber works well for some people.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? you may need to eat more -When you exercise this puts you at a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories. oh and water , water, water!!!

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I thinks its your metabolism speeding up. You are using up a lot of calories and you need to replenish your body with healthy food. I eat every 3 or so hours snacking on nuts, yogurts, cheeses etc. in betweeen meals.
  • dp341
    Options
    make sure you eat plenty of protein and fiber. that will keep you fuller longer.

That's good advice. Although not often now, I still have days when I feel hungry but don't want to use my calories. Big plates of salad with plenty of carrot and celery provide lots of bulky fibre and chicken / turkey breast, prawns or tuna are great for low calorie protein. This combination has kept me going a few times. If you're not keen on plain salad (I am but everyone needs a change sometimes), then try a few low calorie dressings, look for strong flavours and use small amounts, a little really does go a long way.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I have no real advice, just that I can relate. I am often VERY hungry, even when following all the best advice about how to eat to feel full, etc. I sooo cannot relate to the people who say they have a difficult time eating ENOUGH calories because they are too full! Hang in there!
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It is good to know that others experienced this as well! I am trying to stick to the right kind of foods, lots of protein and fiber, with some fruit in there for a snack. My weekends kill me, though. When I am home, I have access to a stocked fridge. Here at work, all I have is what I brought with me! Keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I've been running at about a 500-800 calorie deficit (if memory serves me). At first I was getting the "You are not eating enough calories" message but I've adjusted so that doesn't happen.

Thanks for all the advice! I've got a long way to go before I am a healthy weight again. I've done well before but feel off the band wagon. This time I want to make it a lifestyle change.
  • candylw
    Options
    i have the same problem dear ... not fun