Greek yogurt in hot cereal?

Options
So I have a recipe for a hot breakfast cereal that I want to try. Would it be weird to mix greek yogurt into it? I was thinking it might give it a creamy consistency but I don't know if it would taste weird. Thoughts?

Replies

• jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've read people do that but I think it sounds icky. But I do put fat free milk in my oatmeal, so i guess what is the real difference there!
  • Get_Inspired2011
    Options
    Ugh.. I think that might be disgusting! LOL
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I'll let you try it and tell us how it was.

Bon Appetit :drinker:
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I can't imagine it would hurt to try. Maybe a small sample just in case...
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i think it would also depend a lot on the cereal. would taste gross with corn flackes probably but maybe not others
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My friend would eat regular yogurt mixed into dry oatmeal, cook it and eat it. I would imagine that would be the same? Although Greek yogurt is extremely thick, I'm not sure if you'd have to thin it out somehow. Or are you talking about adding it after cooking it?
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My friend would eat regular yogurt mixed into dry oatmeal, cook it and eat it. I would imagine that would be the same? Although Greek yogurt is extremely thick, I'm not sure if you'd have to thin it out somehow. Or are you talking about adding it after cooking it?

Yes...I meant adding it after cooking it. Like you would add extra milk after cooking.
  • melissabell1984
    Options
    I made an Oatmeal with Papaya and greek yogurt recipe (in a blender) ... it made me gag - my advice is DON'T DO IT!
  • purseus
    Options
    that does sound pretty interesting
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I am about to eat. The plain quaker oats are cooking on the stove right now! I add vanilla low fat yogurt. gives it good flavor (it's like adding milk) and keeps me feeling satisfied all morning. I make a pot of oatmeal once a week, portion it out and refridgerate, then the rest of the week I heat my 1/4 c. oatmeal in the microwave, stir in the yogurt which cools it off just right to eat and have a fast but healthy breakfast. For variety use different flavors of yogurt
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Yes...I meant adding it after cooking it. Like you would add extra milk after cooking.

I think that sounds tasty! I would do it if I hadn't eaten breakfast already lol
  • Ophelia75
    Ophelia75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I add Fage greek yogurt to my porridge after I have cooked it with water. I also add some stewed apple, sultanas, seeds and spirulina poweder. I love it!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yep, or try cottage cheese. Cook the oatmeal first, then add. It makes it creamier and adds protein. :bigsmile:
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I actually add cottage cheese into my hot oatmeal. I used to have them separately at my mid-morning snack and one day decided to mix them and OMG it was yummy.
    The oatmeal didn't taste very different, just very filling and and thicker.
    And yesterday I used yogurt (not greek though, just regular yogurt) and it was good.
    Sometimes the oddest sounding pairings are the best :)
  • MCDerin
    MCDerin Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yep, or try cottage cheese. Cook the oatmeal first, then add. It makes it creamier and adds protein. :bigsmile:

Great minds think alike. We posted at the same time :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I actually add cottage cheese into my hot oatmeal. I used to have them separately at my mid-morning snack and one day decided to mix them and OMG it was yummy.
    The oatmeal didn't taste very different, just very filling and and thicker.
    And yesterday I used yogurt (not greek though, just regular yogurt) and it was good.
    Sometimes the oddest sounding pairings are the best :)

Funny!!! Yes, it is good stuff. :)
  • kekoaskye
    Options
    I prefer steel cut oats to rolled oats, and I often have mine with some greek yogurt on top. Add some blueberries and raw honey, and it's a meal!