Protein Queen

Options
2»

Replies

• fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I usually snack on tuna, slices of turkey and cheese, or chicken breast.

If your water and fiber are increased, I don't see a problem with increasing protein over carbs (for about 90 days or on a zig zag plan). I am very sensitive to carbs at my current weight. Prior to having a baby, I easily lost weight on 55% carbs in my diet. Now, I have a cutoff weight (240 lbs or so) where my metabolism gives me the finger :grumble: . So to each it's own. If you are consistently losing weight and checking with your doc, do your thing. I think that eating sugary snacks and processed foods are way worse than a short-term increase in protein to repair what's been broken in your body.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me to eat 20 grams of protein every three hours, five times a day. Your brain needs at least 50 grams per day to function properly - so I wouldn't worry too much about going over unless you're going over by 100 grams or more.

Also, as a side note - increasing my protein helped me breakthrough my latest plateau!
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Manufacturers of protein shakes may claim that their products decrease body fat or promote weight loss, but protein shakes aren't a magic bullet for weight loss.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/protein-shakes/AN01332
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Over-consumption of protein can often lead to obesity-- so it definitely can be bad. Also, too much protein can also put too much strain on the kidneys, causing you to become dehydrated.

It depends on what exactly your work out routine is, though. The average person should stay within the normal requirements, which is about 17-21% of your daily calories coming from protein. If you consider yourself an athlete or are doing heavy weight training, it is suggested that you can consume about 1 g of protein for every lb of body fat. That being said, I think it's best to find a happy medium, and to find balance with your carbohydrate intake. If you find that you are consistently going over on protein and are not reaching your weight goals, it may be time to reevaluate your diet.

How much are you going over?

Thank you!