How often do you eat?

Options
Does anyone have any advice on how often you should eat something? I'm not a breakfast eater so i grab a gogurt and eat that on the way to the gym around 430a, I tend to want to eat again around 9ish, then lunch around 1p and dinner around 530p. Sometimes i have some sort of snack to nibble on between 9 and lunch which would be some grapes, nuts, or something healthy. Is this too much or not enough?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    sounds fine to me, meal frequency is personal preference, eat as many times as you want to. total caloric intake is the most important factor in weight loss
  • getskinnyk8
    Options
    I've always struggled with eating too much to early in the day and being hungry at night, so I try to eat 3 meals a day, 300 calories each, and 3 snacks a day (some time after each meal), 100 calories each. For a total of 1200 calories. But if you're comfortably staying within 1200 calories and not starving, then it's all good!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    sounds fine to me, meal frequency is personal preference, eat as many times as you want to. total caloric intake is the most important factor in weight loss

^^^^^^^^
    THIS

I usually eat 3 meals a day, sometimes 2. Depending on when my workout is I will have something post-workout as well. I tried the 5-6 meals a day and found it made me hungry all the time. I don't usually start eating until noon or later.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Too often.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks in a day.
  • spasticlulu
    Options
    I have always read that eating more will help you lose weight, 3 meals aday plus 2-3 snacks aday, that way you are less likly to cheat.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I have always read that eating more will help you lose weight, 3 meals aday plus 2-3 snacks aday, that way you are less likly to cheat.

I found the opposite to be true. That old saying of eating every 3 hours or so to keep the metabolism going is just false. The less likely to cheat was just thrown in there just to help the case. I used to believe it. Eating small meals all the time kept me not quite satisfied. It kept me thinking of food and about my next meal, so I was more likely to cheat. Eat a whooping big meal makes me full and happy.
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I find myself constantly thinking about food! I have to load my snacks with nothing but healthy stuff cause i just keep thinking about food and i dont want to blow it! Today i brought 1/2c homemade granola, 1c of black grapes, 1/2c of shelled pistachios, and a string cheese! I wont eat it all but it gives me a variety to choose from when i wanna cave!!
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I eat all the time... here's my usual day

get up at 6:00 am and have an english muffin
    snack at 9:00 am, usually an apple or greek yogurt
    lunch 11:00 am, usually soup, almonds apple/pear and veggie
    snack 1:00 pm, try another fruit, sometimes hit the vending machine
    dinner 7:00 pm, lean protein, veggies and fruit

I eat more during the morning, I don't usually eat a lot at once, but I graze till early afternoon. Then I'm full till dinner. If I need an after dinner snack I try to have sorbet, or somthing along those lines.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I get up at around 12:30pm, have somethign to eat around 16:30, "lunch", then have a couple of snacks between then and Midnight, my dinner time, which accounts for most of my calories, leaving room for a snack before bed at 04:30 am.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to control my calorie intake if I'm constantly eating (in the evenings especially).
    If I cook myself up a big pot of veggie curry or chilli or something that's not very calorie dense then I can keep refilling my bowl all night.
  • torionna
    Options
    I try to eat three meals per day and two to three snacks per day. I also TRY to space them out every 2-3 hours. I try to keep my snacks at 200 or less calories...my meals vary from between 80-600 calories depending on the day and my mood. Add to that 8-14 cups of water and It seems to keep my metabolism going faster and faster!