Is breakfast REALLY necessary?

Options
Every website, blog, article, diet advice column, etc. says that eating breakfast is key to weight loss. However, I find that when I eat breakfast, I am STARVING like 2 hours later! If I don't eat breakfast, I can go 6 or 7 hours without feeling hungry. Does this happen for anyone else? I feel like I eat more when I start the day with breakfast.

P.S. - When I eat breakfast I eat a healthy breakfast - usually a high fiber cereal with fruit, or oatmeal or an egg and high fiber toast

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    See if having a higher protein lower carb breakfast, with some fat, helps curb the hunger. I find that if I have a high carb(even if it's good carbs) breakfast I am hungry sooner. There is nothing wrong with having a snack a couple hours after breakfast though. I usually eat a snack about 2.5-3 hours after breakfast.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No it's not really necessary. I've lost all my weight without breakfast. If I eat breakfast I get kinda sick and sluggish for some reason. I say do what you feel is best for your body.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    It boosts your metabolism. Burns more fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No, if you'd rather skip it, then skip it. Hitting your calorie target day after day, week after week, is far more important than what times of day you eat.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    you get hungry becasue you are breaking a fast. it sounds like you need a sanck.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No. It isn't.

Meal size, frequency and timing don't matter.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    It's absolutely necessary. It has nothing to do with weight loss, it has to do with fueling your body. What I've found is breakfast should be anywhere from 300-500 calories to really jump start your day and carry you to your morning snack.

Besides, you need to eat every 2-3 hours anyway so it sounds like you're actually doing fine :)

Feel free to shoot me a friend request if I can help you out at all.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

It is for me, it's not for everyone. This is actually a myth, just like eating right before bed makes you gain weight. It doesn't really matter when you eat, just that you eat enough in a 24 hour period. Some people better control what they eat when they eat by spreading it out, others not so much, so you just do what works for you an EAT!

I eat every 2 hours or so because that's when I'm hungry, not because that's when I think I need to for any other reason. Listen to your body, sometimes you make your body adapt to your expectations and sometimes you need to adapt your expectations to your body.
  • ohmissemily
    ohmissemily Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i eat most of the time an hr after i wake up, i usually get hungry. but i wouldnt call it breakfast cuz sometimes i wake up at 11-12 lol. soooooo i just try and eat every 3-5 hours.
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way but now I eat breakfast because it helps to start your metabolism in the morning, I don't eat anything huge but usually ahve to snack around 1030, as long as your eating healthy food it's actually good to eat 3 meals and two snacks a day. So far I've lost 10 lbs
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Every website, blog, article, diet advice column, etc. says that eating breakfast is key to weight loss. However, I find that when I eat breakfast, I am STARVING like 2 hours later! If I don't eat breakfast, I can go 6 or 7 hours without feeling hungry. Does this happen for anyone else? I feel like I eat more when I start the day with breakfast.

P.S. - When I eat breakfast I eat a healthy breakfast - usually a high fiber cereal with fruit, or oatmeal or an egg and high fiber toast

Yes, it's important. And eating a smaller dinner is important too. Better to eat more at breakfast than dinner.

There's a reason why everyone says it's important. Think about it.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Look up intermittent fasting from leangains. And no breakfast isnt important.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i used to be the same way, i figured im watching calories, why would i consume "empty" calories in teh morning when im not even hungry yet when i could jsut eat more in the afternoon? I had to force myself to eat breakfast, but im glad i do, yes i was hungry shortly after when i started, i said thats my body showing me that my metabolism is working, my body took that food and utilized it right away. i can say that i honestly feel better now 3 months later when i have breakfast, and it isnt always something big, sometimes its a fiber bar and a cup of grapes, but its something. heck today it was a girly coffee and some toast, but its something...my body is using it...
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've always been led to believe it kickstarts your metabolism, but I can't imagine it matters that much one way or the other, and at the end of the day if you're staying under your cals then you're going to lose weight. I think the other reason you're always advised to eat brekkie when you're trying to lose weight is that some people might skip it and then be really hungry by lunch time and eat more than they would otherwise. If you're not doing that then there's not much to worry about!
  • MartiOConnor
    MartiOConnor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, you sound just like me! I KNOW I HAVE to eat something in the am, so I have really cut it down (like 1/2 a Zone bar or 1 egg white) then I know I will have a mid morning snack around 10 (laughing cow cheese or some fruit or veggies) to get me through to lunch. Since I know I'll be more hungry if I do eat breakfast, I just cut down the amount to allow for a mid moring snack, which for me is what really matters, because that keeps me from feeling starved at lunch time. Hope that helps!!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Ugh.
  • littlemount
    Options
    According to eastern philosophy after 50 a person needs only two meals and after I believe 65-70 a person needs only one meal. Fruits are acceptable in the morning even when ur young it is best to eat fruits for breakfast. lunch as early as 11 am and dinner at 6-7 pm.I think the book fit for life by Harvey has similar principles.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I know it can be tough but yes breakfast is essential to weight loss. . . even if it is a small one. . . after sleeping. . It gets your system going again. . .

Perhaps a protein shake would make you feel better in the morning. . Other than that I eat high protein cereal. . . and fruit for a midmorning snack. . . . Wish you all the best~
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to eat breakfast. Actually, I used to feel physically ill if I ate in the morning. I also used to binge eat at the end of the day because I was starving.

I've found that eating within 30 mins of waking and eating every 2-4 hours during the day does wonders for me. It stabilizes my blood sugar and if that is stable - I don't tend to binge eat. So, for me eating breakfast and eating often has been the key to breaking the binge eating habit. I also truly believe me eating so much keeps my metabolism up (regardless of what "studies" say) and makes me feel better overall.

Do what works for you.