Exercises for a bad back?

Options
Hi Everyone!
My mom recently hurt her back (she has 2 comressed vertabrae in her lower back) and she is looking for exercises to do. She has been active her entire life and it is driving her (and me) nuts that she can't work out! She danced for most of her life, then did aerobics, then kick boxing and most recently Jazzercise. She loves to be active and I hate to see her upset with not being able to do what she loves.

If anyone could give me some ideas on what exercises she could do that will not hurt her back I would appreciate it!

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    swimming is great for the back and it takes the pressure off the joints too...it is great cardio...try it..:bigsmile:
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have some exercises that my physical therapist gave me for my back. If you email me I would be happy to scan them in and email them to you. jenny_w45157@yahoo.com.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Find a good instructor and she will help select the correct postures for her condition.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a round of physio-therapy at a Sports Medicine clinic to start.

I have a herniated disk, and I have found water exercise to be good: aqua-fitness and swimming. A stationary bicyle with a good seat with back support. Walking, using walking sticks---I used these on a trip to Italy this summer and they were great in that they get the weight of the body dispersed and provide support. If you put your weight onto your sticks, you tire less easily, and they relieve the back when you have to climb where no handrails are available. A treadmill with handrails going as slow as you need to helps. Tai Chi, when she is stronger, would help with balance.

Tylenol for body pain is also good. Sometimes you have to push through the pain just to build up your core muscles enough to support you.
  • BanderaOutlaw
    Options
    Zuzana is my favorite trainer on YouTube - she does a ton of videos showing great workouts with and without props, and also explains beginner versions of the exercises she does -> http://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975

I hurt my lower back in the same way several years ago, and it's just a slow process to rebuild mobility and flexibility. Light bodyweight exercises, stretching, yoga, then introducing weights and more intense workouts. Anything that works your mom's core will help stabilize her lower back and then give it the strength it needs to hold everything into place.

Slow and easy wins the race, it's super easy to re-injure a lower back issue like that. But a long-term goal for rehabilitation within six months to a year is both realistic and lifelong. :-)
  • sandislim
    Options
    I have struggled with this for a long time, nearly all exercises irritate my back. I won't get in a pool (bathing suit a no-no). I stick to stationary bike for short bursts (longer if I can handle it), weight training upper body only, walking. I do a lot of HIIT on the bike. I also do cardio and modify a lot of the moves - no squats or just shallow squats - no forward bends, easy on the floor work and ab work which involves bending. I always do the spinal twist because its just so relaxing for my back. I modify any jumping to just stepping or shallow jumps as that can knock my back out.

Its difficult but I had to get out of the mindset of punishing myself through exercise, I have to be responsible and look after myself which has been an alien concept for a long time.
  • 23ahol
    Options
    Here is a really awesome book with a step-by-step approach to strengthening your back and getting free from back pain:
    Back RX
    Vijay Vad, MD
    Get on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. $13-20 range and worth every penny
  • pegesam
    pegesam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/library/blbackexercises.htm

I use a lont of these same exercises while at the gym. The key to remember is that your abs need strengthening also as they help support the spine as well. Remember to warm up, stretch, exercise then stretch again.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice everyone! I really appreciate it :) I'll show these to my mom when she gets home tonight. You all are the best :)