what do you eat after gym & why?

Options
Just finshed an hour & half at gym doing mainly cardio & weights. Its now 6.47pm and avent had tea. what do you eat after gym for tea? and why?

Is pasta good after gym session?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner. Why? Because it's usually dinner time.

Pasta is fine. If it fits into your macros, eat it.
  • law0830
    Options
    I usually try to drink fat free milk or drink a protein shake. I also try to replish the fluids and electrolites I lost during the workout.

Personally I wouldn't eat pasta, I try to stay away from all the starchy carbs like pasta.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat high protein, some spinach, and a little carb to help rebuild and repair.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm no expert but from what I've read on various sites, I eat some carbs to help replace glycogen levels in my body. I eat plenty of protein to help give my muscles something to work with.

So, granola bar and yogurt are ways I typically go if its early in the day. If its closer to dinner, I might eat a small serving of pasta and some meat with yogurt for dessert.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I eat complex carbs and fiber foods before my workout for energy and protein after so that my muscle can recoup! It's a bodybuilding thang!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Guys, tea = dinner in UK
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I drink a Body Fortress Protein Shot to give my body some protein for build muscle.
  • doinme2011
    doinme2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I try to eat protein. i have to eat it since i cannot get those protein shakes down. usually chicken breast or some type of lean meat. i eat veggies also and drink plenty of water during and after workouts. I hardly ever have pasta and try to stay away from breads but everyone's body is different and reacts to foods differently
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Guys, tea = dinner in UK

I was having the same thought...
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It depends when I exercise, but if it is in between meals I will have some raisins and raw almonds.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Guys, tea = dinner in UK
    I only know this b/c my stepfather is English...
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I eat exactly what I would eat if I hadn't worked out. A typical gym session is about a 500 calorie burn around 6am, and the after meal is breakfast (cereal, skim milk, fruit). Pretty hungry mid-morning, though, but it can be squelched that with a large piece of fruit and plenty of water.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Pasta is fine. Protein is better.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Guys, tea = dinner in UK

That's funny! lol:laugh: My dear friend from England always offer me tea every time I come over and it drives me nuts. His second offer is a grown up drink. What was he waiting for ? lol
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i eat breakfast. pretty much solid protein and complex carbs.
  • YeOldeLancer
    Options
    I also usually eat a lean protein, lots of it especially after a weights workout. Seafood is always a good source of low fat, low cal, high protein source. If it's cardio, I drink something to replace electrolytes. I really like Powerade Zero.
  • idcatiej22
    idcatiej22 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    go ahead! eat dinner! the key is balance. you obviously want to replenish after you've just worked out, but you want to make sure you're putting good things back into your body. yeah, you can have pasta, but make sure it's not just tons and tons of carbs. add some lean protein - chicken, turkey, fish - veggies, and a little bit of dairy. sprinkle some low-fat cheese on top of your pasta. it has been said that keeping a good amount of low-fat dairy in your diet can help continue to burn fat - especially if you eat it right after you work out. so maybe you eat a piece of cheese or some yogurt or drink a glass of milk while you're cooking up your dinner. good luck :smile:
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do my workout within an hour of waking up, so I eat my breakfast after the gym. Although I vary my other meals and snacks I eat the exact same breakfast every day--a mini bagel, with an egg white, & soy cheese and a Greek yogurt (either Chobani or Fage). I think it's perfect post-gym because it has a great mix of carbs/fats/proteins.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    After any full body workout, or any cardio that goes over 1k cals burned, i have this:

http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com/

500ml chocolate is amazing!

For actual tea/dinner that night, i always have something meaty! Chicken Legs, diced lean beef, etc.