Long Hair+Long Run=Tangled Rats Nest

Options
Hi, I am a marathon runner and every time I finish a long run I am reminded why all the competitive female runners I see have short, boyish haircuts... as I spend ten minutes combing the rats nest out of my ponytail. I have tried everything from braids (too heavy and fall out because of my layers), putting elastics down every inch or so of the ponytail (still tangles, still kinda heavy)... Any long haired exercises have a solution to my hair dilemma... Basically a hairdo that does not result in bruises from beating me up as I run for 4 hours straight, but also stays untangled so I do not curse like a sailor after my shower... Hoping someone has already found a great solution.

Replies

• avaloneternal
    Options
    oops I meant long haired exercisers, my r key must have stuck.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting it up in a bun? I don't like to have a ponytail or braid touching my neck when I run, so that's my solution.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to mine when I ride. I usually put it in two dorky braids. I have layers too and the 2 braids hold it better than one.
  • speakz82
    Options
    Pig tails. You lose about 10 years, and tend to have teenage boys staring at you...but I've found it keeps your hair ratty free.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Braids or a bun are the only thing I can do to keep my long hair from being such a mess when I run.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Been there, What worked for me were French braids or one french braid. It takes a while to do but with practice goes faster. Keeps hair neat and secure. Also a little product in hair (I like Potion by Paul Sebastion) or leave in conditioner helps. I've also done a bun or a regular braid through the back of my favorite cap. Good luck. Keep Running. Ive done 3 marathons, quite a few halfs, and hope another marathon in Oct.!!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I run with long hair. When I'm playing soccer I pull it up. When I'm doing distance running I leave it down.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    a fresh cut?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a marathon runner and every time I finish a long run I am reminded why all the competitive female runners I see have short, boyish haircuts... as I spend ten minutes combing the rats nest out of my ponytail. I have tried everything from braids (too heavy and fall out because of my layers), putting elastics down every inch or so of the ponytail (still tangles, still kinda heavy)... Any long haired exercises have a solution to my hair dilemma... Basically a hairdo that does not result in bruises from beating me up as I run for 4 hours straight, but also stays untangled so I do not curse like a sailor after my shower... Hoping someone has already found a great solution.

talk to some Army girls. I know in the army, a ballet style bun, with lots of bobby pins was pretty much my only solution
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You could take it a step farther and do the two pigtails put into buns ala Princess Leia..... might get a whole other crowd stairing at you though!! I put my hair in a super high ponytail and then only pull the last time halfway through, makeshift bun sort of. My hair is in layers and I'm pretty much rat free :D
  • hahacoralk
    Options
    princess laia braids- just try it, it works.
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    Hair screws, I love them! Put that mane up in a ponytail first, the instructions say not to, but do it! THen a french twist or bun thingy. Keep up the good work!
  • blueyeb
    Options
    Pony tails keep my hair out of my face, but it's also long so it too gets matted and sweaty and it usually brings on a headache. Buns never stay in either, also give me a headache. The only style that works for me on a long run is a french braid. If it's really hot out, I will pin the long part of the braid up into and underneath the top part of the braid with bobby pins and a little hairspray. Or I will do a french braid down each side of my head and pin or braid the 2 tails together.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine into a tight bun on top of my head. Works great and I don't get the hair sticking to the sweat on my neck.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What I do since my hair is so long and gets in the way easy is I pull it half up( to prevent hair slipping out into my face) with a hair clip (my hair is so heavy i get headaches with a ponytail holder that high) then braid it using the pulled back part as the center section starting the braid. I then flip the braid up and fasten with a scrunchy and i don't have the pounding on my back, headache or hair in my face. I hope you find a do that works well for you.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Seriously, this is why I love this site :) Thanks for all the feedback. Gonna test the pigtails on my long run today... Y'all rock :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Grow out the layers?
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My friend that I run with all the time has long naturally curly hair that can turn into a big tangle....but at the marathon last Sunday she just tucked her ponytail against her head with strap of her visor (instead of having her ponytail sticking out the top, like usual) and miracles of miracles - her hair stayed nice and smooth. And we were running in gale force winds too.
  • mollb
    mollb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My hair just reached the length that the half-pulled through ponytail isn't enough to adequately keep it out of the way anymore, so I'm switching to a bun. I can't stand the feeling of a ponytail on my back as I run.
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    Had a similar problem when I am on my bike. I cut the sleave off and old short sleave shirt, took my hair and pulled it through the sleave and wore it like a do rag. Worked great for me. Also, a standard do rag works well too.