What is the longest plateau you have ever experienced?

Options
I lost 30 lbs in six months, but only five in the last three months.

During the first six months my main exercise was walking a hour every morning. For the last three months I have been doing a mixture of various cardio dvds that I have been able to find online. Example: JIllian Michaels, Insanity, p90x, tae bo. Everyday I do something different because I get bored easily. In the last two weeks I have been doing 50 burpees every other day, plus my cardio.

I eat roughly 1200-1400 calories a day. Mostly fruit, greek yogurt, and about a 600-700 calorie lunch consisting of protein, veggies, and fruit. The only thing I drink is water. Close to two gallons a day.

I still get the "weight loss compliments". I am losing the inches. But my goal was, and still is, is to lose weight.

Am I missing something? Or just give the weight loss portion more time.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i think you're focusing on the wrong thing, if body comp is improving (losing inches) then scale weight shouldn't matter much
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Mine had been 5 months now! but Im not as strict as i was! So its my fault I suppose but Im onyl 2 pounds away from goal! So Im not letting it get me down!
  • lilmissemmylou
    lilmissemmylou Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 weeks of staying the same weight which really got to me as I was going to the gym for 5 - 6 hrs a week and eating around my calorie goal of 1,200 a day. So this week I have invested in a tape measure. Im with Acg - if the inches are coming of then I dont care if the scales are changing or not, as long as I am looking better and getting a healthier body :)
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck for 2 months now.. I am still exercising and doing everything right.. It will start moving again, have faith!!
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I had a 3 month plateau, but also still lost inches during it. If you're getting close to your goal weight then the pounds are going to come off a lot slower. I have 23 more pounds to go so I expect a slow process. My main goal is to get through winter losing a few pounds cuz that's my hardest time of year to get motivated.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    Good luck
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Well, I think he's right, if you are losing inches, that is still progress. I have only lost 10 lbs. but I see that with that loss, I have to eat less calories to lose.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and it is odd that you eat all that for lunch, why don't you spread that out a little.
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mine has lasted for 4 1/2 weeks now. Boo! I am also going to the gym 4-5 hours a week, and recently added a spin class and pump and tone class while maintaining 1200-1300 calories per day. It's frustrating but hang in there!
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    edited because I hit enter twice =)
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Losing inches > Scale moving...

I believe with those at home videos that you are doing people tend to lose more inches and get more defined vs seeing the scale get low.

It could also be that you're not eating enough calories for the amount of calories that you are burning...
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    where are your entries? There is stuff entered for today but nothing before that??
  • bidwhist
    bidwhist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and it is odd that you eat all that for lunch, why don't you spread that out a little.

I have never really been a breakfast person. So I only eat something light for breakfast. I hate going to bed "stuffed" from dinner. Lunch is the only time I really get to sit down, relax, and eat. Lunch today was a little heavier than normal. I am a sucker for salmon, and just had to have two pieces. I do better on the spacing my food out on the weekends.
  • bidwhist
    Options
    where are your entries? There is stuff entered for today but nothing before that??

Today is my first day as a member.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My body does this! I lost about 25 pounds and was stuck at 180 for the longest time. I guess my body found a weight it liked for a while. My weight finally started going down again and is currently 167. I have been "stuck" here for about a month. I guess it found another weight it liked. LOL It's frustrating sometimes, though, because I promised myself new boots if I hit 165. :) But I'll wait it out until my body is ready to give up some more pounds.

I have noticed, though, that although the scale isn't my pants keep getting bigger. It's not a bad feeling.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can do 50 burpees?? Holy cow! :O

I'm in a plateau right now, heading on to about 4 weeks. But I'm more about functionality over anything, so I don't really care if I lose weight. I keep track of it for this site, but other than that, I don't find it a useful measure of my success. I find being able to do things, like climb rocks with my girlfriends kids (8 and 10years old), bike ride, do martial arts, farm work and walk my average of 5 miles a night at my job without wishing for instant death a better mark of my success.

If I could do 50 burpees, man, that would be AWESOME!!

Challenge: ACCEPTED! :D

Pj
  • bidwhist
    Options
    You can do 50 burpees?? Holy cow! :O

If I could do 50 burpees, man, that would be AWESOME!!

Challenge: ACCEPTED! :D

Pj

One minute increments. I do 5 burpees. Then for the rest of the minute(about 45 seconds) I hit the boxing speed bag while jogging in place. Do that 10 minutes. Heart rate easily stays between 145-155. 15 second rest between sets.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You and I must be related. I have had some very similar experiences. I haven't lost a pound in about six months - haven't gained either. I am losing inches, too, and like you I also get comments about me and my weight loss.

Just the other day I put on pants that I haven't worn since March (about the last time I lost any weight) and they were looser.

These are the things that keep me going, because if I was focusing solely on the scale I would have given up looooong ago.

Hope you are able to break it soon, I know how frustrating it is!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm going to report you... For AWESOMENESS!

I love this, it's simple, attainable (eventually), and will ultimately make you barf uncontrollably if you over do it.

Excellent... Gonna have to get me a speed bag now. Have you considered the double-end bag? I always thought that would be a riot.

Pj
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The longest plateau I've had while actively trying to lose weight was 6 weeks. The longest plateau I've ever had was 5 years.