Calories in homemade chicken broth??

Options
Hello! I hope everyone is having a fantastic Tuesday!!

I make my chicken noodle soup from scratch. I take a whole chicken and cook it with veggies & seasonings until cooked all the way through - which also creates the broth - then I add the noodles & more seasoning to taste. How would I calculate the calorie content of this meal? The broth is mainly where I am concerned.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Good question, bumping for later.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Is your broth base just water? I may be off, just guessing here, but if you start with water then add the chicken, veggies and seasonings then wouldn't the broth get it's calories from those things? So if you enter all ingredients into recipe builder then it should be pretty accurate.
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is your broth base just water? I may be off, just guessing here, but if you start with water then add the chicken, veggies and seasonings then wouldn't the broth get it's calories from those things? So if you enter all ingredients into recipe builder then it should be pretty accurate.

this. I also made chicken soup today...minus the noodles :) .
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yep, do that. Add absolutely everything together using the Recipe function and set the number of servings and it will automatically give you calories for the whole dish.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

this. I also made chicken soup today...minus the noodles :) .

When we make soup, I leave out the noodles or rice or whatever, because they get mushy or soak up all the broth. We build soup - everyone adds what they like with the base of chicken and broth - like a salad bar for soup. Baby spinach, water chestnuts, rice, noodles, green onions, mixed veggies, cabbage -whatever your family likes - and the kids add what they like in their soup. Very popular and always interesting to see what they'll mix together :laugh:
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh - I guess that makes sense :)
    Der!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Oh - I guess that makes sense :)
    Der!

LOL we all have "der!" moments!