Exercise -- why, again?

Options
Okay, so. I have been doing MFP for 30 days now, and dieting for about 8 months. Ive broken 45 pounds as of this morning (I hit 45 pounds a couple days ago, but now I'm at a staggering 45.2). As one would logically expect, I've done this through diet and exercise?

Well, diet, anyway...

See, I went to the gym for a couple months on and off, and I try to take regular walks, but I just generally don't. I worked like crazy at the gym at first, then I skipped too much, and noticed I lost the same amount of weight. So far I've lost about 2 pant sizes, dropped 2 shirt sizes (XXL to L) and the affore-mentioned 45.2 pounds, and the last 15 or so have been with virtually no major exercise at all.

So my question is: why exercise? My research has told me that diet is the more important component, though some (i.e. people selling exercise books) believe in exercise more. I've read that exercise increases your metabolism, and that's important for losing weight, but if you stay within a healthy limit and eat nutritious foods, isn't that all you need?

By no means am I saying exercise is worthless. I'm just saying that so far I haven't had much use for it, and I'm wondering what it is I don't know. Smarter people than me believe in it, so there's gotta be something to it. So enlighten me! What do I not know here?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This isn't just about weight loss. Exercise makes you strong and healthy.
  • mdfeller
    Options
    For toning. So you don't have a bunch of sagging skin, and for heart health. my two cents
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

This. And so you don't lose your weight and end up "skinnyfat"
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Well you know what Mean Gene, you can easily lose weight without exercising. But some of that weight is going to be muscle, and then end result is a slower metabolism and a weaker body. If you incorporate exercise, you will preserve (or even build new) muscle, and increase your cardiovascular health. Eat your vitamins, say your prayers, and keep drinking that python powder!
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be just thin, I also wanna kick booties. The only way I can do that is by exercising so that I can be in good shape.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, "dieting" may lose weight.

But eating a healthy diet, and staying active, keeps your body functioning properly.

Skinny fat people are not healthy. They just weigh less.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise, sure. But it's healthier to combine the two.
  • tcooper81
    tcooper81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I exercise to keep my heart, lungs and muscles strong. I like having a strong body. Diet is most of it, but exercise has it's benefits as well that are unrelated to weight loss.
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Exercise also allows you to "earn" those not as healthy treats or splurges once in a while. Plus weight bearing exercise builds bone density.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options

^^
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

I enjoy your point of view here.....that said...

#1 heart health!!

also, to strengthen muscles around the joints to help with and/or prevent arthritis, create a sense of mental well being, to feel accomplished, increase stamina and endurance for those, shall we say, intimate moments that life brings!

And las but not least to stave off death....because when you move you feel alive! :bigsmile:
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Right now your body is heavy, and your muscles have to work hard to move your body also, you have changed your diet to a lower caloric intake. The diet and your daily movement are enough to compensate for exercise. But, as you get smaller your body won't compensate for this deficit. Therefore, you will need to begin exercising, or you will plateau. No doubt about it. That's why that last 10 pounds is so hard to get rid of.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My brother in law paid me a very nice compliment this past weekend. He said: "You look fit, not just skinny". I've been skinny before. I'd much rather be fit.

I acomplished the "skinny" by starving myself (that was 10 years ago; before I had kids, LOL). Now, I got fit by watching what I eat and exercising.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    "Dieting makes you look good in clothes. Exercise makes you look good naked"

Good 'nuff for me.
  • beauand1
    Options
    Also, when you build lean muscle mass through exercise, you will burn calories faster when you are resting the more muscle you have throughout your body. That means you can eat more and still be toned and have a higher metabolism. Imagine burning 500 cals an hour just resting...how long on the treadmill does that take?

Good luck! :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, "dieting" may lose weight.

But eating a healthy diet, and staying active, keeps your body functioning properly.

Skinny fat people are not healthy. They just weigh less.

This. I think it's great that you're having success with weight loss, but what you seem to be confusing is that health is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Weightloss is great, but what's the point of being skinny and still huffing to get up and down a flight of stairs?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I exercise for a few simple reasons:

1. My Mom is currently fighting breast cancer. I do every little bit I can as cancer prevention including exercise.
    2. Diabetes and high blood pressure run in the family. Exercise helps here too.
    3. When I exercise I function better as a human. I sleep better, eat better, and perform better in all that I do. I live a busy life between work, volunteer work, and managing multiple properties (one a rental). If I did not workout I would not only be fatter I would have trouble getting through my busy life. Oh, and it's necessary to ward off depression and anxiety.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise work hand in hand..

Yes you will lose the weight..but do you want to have sagging skin...plus the more muscle you gain..the more it will burn off the stubborn fat or pounds that you want off..as you get closer to your goal weight..your body will want to stop everything you have done...and then ..like numerous people have said prior..why on earth am I at a plateau?"
  • superderryo
    Options
    Well, If you want to look better the strength training is key. People who don't exercise and are normal in weight are oftentimes what is referred to as "skinny fat". When you are losing weight and not exercising, not only are you losing fat but also muscle. So that means if you have any muscle, you can actually lose weight but still look as fat as before.

If you want a more toned, better looking body than you have now, I suggest you do strength training. Cardiovascular exercise for the most part, only increases the amounts of calories you burn per day, which will make your fat loss progress go faster if you don't increase your calorie intake as much. But if you are losing weight not only to be more healthy, but also LOOK better, then I highly suggest you don't quit working out your muscles.