Question about hummus

Options
I've been seeing alot of posts about hummus and I know this question is going to be odd. But what is hummus? Is it a spread? Do I make it or can you get it pre-made at the store. I see ppl that say it's delicious and I'm curious to try it. But have no idea what it is exactly.

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it's a chick pea spread...my favorite is roasted garlic, with roasted pita chips..mmmm...or veggies...it's very high in fibre and protein :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yes you can get it in any grocery store, usually by the tofu and vegetarian stuff
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's made out of chick-peas and while you can make it (I don't know exactly how) you can buy it any store. Trader Joes has a whole selection of hummus in different flavors. It's a Mediterranean food.

It's great on sandwiches, as a dip for veggies, or just on some pita. It's a great healthy snack food.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's a spread that can be used for sandwiches, on crackers, on veggies etc. Usually made from chickpeas, with some spices for flavoring. You can make it at home or get it pre packaged. Prepackaged I like the Tribe brand.

I also make my own as well. If you don't like chickpeas it can be made with other beans. I've used black beans (liked these) and cannellini beans (didn't like these so much).
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It's SUPER easy to make.

1 can chick peas, drained
    1 T olive oil
    1 T lemon juice
    1 clove garlic (or more to taste)
    salt & pepper to taste

Blend well. (I use my magic bullet blender)

Variation: add some chopped roasted red pepper. Also, everything can be varied in amounts to suit your taste.

Serve with chips, veggies, or as a spread.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    It's SUPER easy to make.

1 T olive oil
    1 T lemon juice
    salt & pepper to taste

Variation: add some chopped roasted red pepper. Also, everything can be varied in amounts to suit your taste.

Doesn't it have Tahini in it too?
  • tickletickle
    Options
    yum i love hummus, didnt as a kid, now i do. i make my own or buy it. I use the same recipe as above. You can use roasted garlic, sundried tomatoes, roasted capsicum, even pumpkin. Basil/pesto hummus is nice too :)
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    Thanks! Next time I go to the store, I will pick some up and try it!
  • tickletickle
    Options
    it can have tahini, but i dont use it in my home made, but shop stuff does
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The recipe above looks right except you need 1/4 a cup of tahini paste (ground seseme seeds). Usually in grocery stotres but i buy mine from amazon.com.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Chick Peas!? I thought it was made with garbanzo beans! :-)
  • conidiring
    Options
    Chick Peas!? I thought it was made with garbanzo beans! :-)

Tee hee!

I have 4 recipes, and none of them have Tahini in them!
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    It's SUPER easy to make.

1 T olive oil
    1 T lemon juice
    salt & pepper to taste

Thanks!! I love hummus!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to make my own but can't find chick peas anywhere... where do you get them?
  • conidiring
    Options
    I have been wanting to make my own but can't find chick peas anywhere... where do you get them?

I get mine in the canned veggie isle, it's in with the beans (garbanzo beans = chickpeas).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    With the other tinned beans in the supermarket (red kidney beans, butter beans etc.)

I like making my own, and I usually add tahini.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of recipes. Once you start making it and get it right you can add stuff like roasted red bell peppers or anything. I put it on a pita add salsa and top it with mixed greens and tomato slices.... best lunch ever (and it's vegan!).
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    hummus is yummy! my fav is the roasted garlic one and I add some roasted red pepper to it right before I eat it for that extra yumminess!!!!!!!!!!
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It's SUPER easy to make.

1 T olive oil
    1 T lemon juice
    salt & pepper to taste

Thanks for sharing!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I make my own, and you can add a tblsp of peanut butter subbed in for the tahini, if you don't have it. Sounds odd, but gives it that bit of nutty flavor..."..