Post-exercise crash...

Options
What do other people eat after a workout? I tend to go for a fairly aggressive race-walk at lunch, every day, but, it is not unusual for me to COMPLETELY crash about a half hour later. In fact, I may get so sleepy that I start nodding off in the MIDDLE of the "replenishing" meal. Is that the perfect time for a highly nutrient-concentrated shake, so that the replenishment gets there, quickly? I try to eat my lunch about a half-hour after, but I feel like I just want to curl up on the floor and nap, by then.

Does anybody else crash like that? How did you fix it?

Replies

• Jennilvmp
    Options
    I do I have the same problem! Would like to see the answers you get!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use protein to help me avoid a crash, I get it from chicken mostly, so after training ill try to eat at least a breast of chicken. I've not tried whey protein or any other protein shakes but basically 1hr after your workout is when your body is primed for the intake of protein etc to aid muscle repair.

The way I look at it is Protein is fast release energy IE when my body needs it to continue to function, and Carb's are slower release. So ill try and hit a balance before the workout, IE morning time, and then high protein within 1hr after.

I don't know if this is a 100% right, but current it's working for me. I don't crash and my body just wants to keep going,
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do an hour workout during my lunch before I eat. Depending on the day, it varies between strength and moderate cardio. I have a shake in the locker room a few minutes after my workout. Once I get back to my desk, I usually have a sandwich of some sort and a piece of fruit and some cheese. This week it's peanut butter on whole wheat.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Eat a carb and protein meal right AFTER your workout. Within 15 minutes, if possible. That maximizes muscle growth.

You generally want to have a decent amount of carbs before your workout too, to provide sustained energy during the workout.

Note this ONLY applies to people NOT doing a Paleo/low carb/no carb diet.

In those cases, you would want a fat and protein meal before a workout, as your body will be in ketosis and getting its energy from Fats and protein, rather than carbs.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I crash like that after rollerblading but i do it in the afternoon so I go to bed...lol
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    One of my absolute favorite post work-out snacks is trail mix. Protein, carbs, fats... And you don't have to eat a lot to get a serving, and that works well for me, since working out really curbs my appetite.