Replies

• SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of reading about running. Here is one thing I found very useful about hills. I don't recall exactly where I read it (Probably Runners World magazine): pump your arms faster. It sounds strange, but your legs will follow your arms. You may even learn to love hills, I do.
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I am so glad I found this post! My neighborhood is nothing but hills, so I have no choice but to run them. I have been training for 8 weeks and the bigger hills still kick my butt a little bit. The advice I read here is great! I hope, one day, that I will get used to the hills.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to incorporate strength training into your routine...I will make your leg muscles stronger for the hills...If you can't get to a gym, do squats, lunges, side lunges, dead lifts with 2 full milk jugs, etc...also jump shots, burpees, etc....
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I learned to be grateful that I have all these hills where I live, I have such a choice of challenges, such variety! I think flat ground would be boring, but that's just me. As much as possible, I work on walking/jogging UP the hills, and walking down to catch my breath. I have a knee issue, so keeping up my pace on the downhill sides can cause some pain, so sometimes on very steep slopes I go backwards