Too much fruit?

is that possible? to have too much fruit in a day? I LOVE watermelon and cantelope and could literally could live off of it!

Replies

• You are much like me. I love fresh fruit however I need to be careful as fruits process sugars on there own.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    I think you can probably eat A LOT of watermelon or cantelope before it would be considered "to much". Grapes and other fruits tends to have a lot of sugar in them, but it's all natural, so ultimately the question is do you want to gauge natural sugar the same way you do the other kind. I don't personally, but that's a decision only you can make. In the end, no, I think within reason you can sit and eat all the watermelon you want. I know when it's in season, I definitely do :).
  • acraft83
    acraft83 Posts: 10 Member
    I say there can never be too much fruit. I'm not a trainer or nutritionist, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one that would discourage fruit.

As for your earlier post, my current wait is 205, but I started at 224 and yes, because I'm bigger I've had several weeks that I lost 3lbs in a week.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    it all depends on what your calorie goals are. if you have room within your calories, then eat your fruit, but make sure you balance it with protein and healthy fats. yes, even fresh fruits are full of sugar, granted natural sugar, but the body's insulin response to fruit is still there, but slower than processed sugar thanks to some fiber.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Watermelon and cantaloupe are two that you can eat as much as you want. Honeydew also. Melons are mostly water. Watermelon is the #1 food as far as being on the alkaline side of the pH scale which will help to de-acidify your body. That is a whole 'nother topic however.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I would pick fruits that are low on the Glycemic Index. Watermelon is pretty high on the index so I wouldn't over do it with that one. Cantaloupe is pretty low though!
  • Glycemic index?! Better google it! IDK what that is or how im supposed to know what foods its in!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    I think that the sugar (even though it's natural) doesn't matter as much in fruit, because you're also getting a lot of nutrients from fruits. Of course there are fruits that are better than others (sugar wise, and GI like others have said).
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    I have 3-4 fruits a day! :) I LOVE fruit!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Fruits? Never too much to me!
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    my PT is a bit hardcore (does bodybuilding) and he tells me to limit my fruit to a piece a couple of days a week, and never after lunchtime.
    i have gone from eating 4-5 serves a day to 2-3 but simply because the calories do start to add up, especially as i could easily eat a kg bag of grapes or 2-3 apples in one go
  • Too much of anything isn't good for you. Too much of any type of sugar isn't good for you... it's still sugar. I say eat fruit... but don't go over board and make sure you still get your grains, healthy fats, and protein in there and you should be good :smile:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    It's better to eat more vegetables than fruit - I aim for 1 piece a day. Even though the sugar in fruit is natural, it's still not good to eat too much sugar.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    I love fruit. I usually have them in my daily smoothie. Yes, they have sugar, but it's natural sugar. Fruit have vitamins and minerals as well as phytochemicals which help protect against disease - http://www.phytochemicals.info/ , antioxidants, and fiber. If you are worried about sugar, go with fruits that are lower in sugar. But please, don't restrict your fruit intake! You are much better off having a piece of fruit over a snack cracker. We need much more than just meat and dairy to live.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Try pairing a fruit with soluble fiber, which can reduce the absorption of the sugar into your bloodstream and prevent the spikes and hunger-inducing troughs of insulin and blood sugar. Some sources of soluble fiber include = surprise! The fruits themselves - I'm intrigued to learn this. Some fruits have their own built-in prevention system lol. Looks like our creator knew what he was doing ;-).

Anyway, here are some links that gave me some great info, if you're interested:
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/fiber-000303.htm
    http://cholesterol.about.com/od/cholesterolloweringfoods/qt/solublfiberlist.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033
  • I'd say be careful with fruit. 2-4 servings a day is plenty. if you go over, you might find your sugar levels too high.