Roasted Veggie Marinara Sauce

Healthyby30
Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
edited October 3 in Food and Nutrition
http://cookinglightwithcourtney.blogspot.com/2011/09/roasted-veggie-marinara-sauce.html

This is an original recipe, something I've used for a while that my whole family loves! I use it for spaghetti, lasagna, chicken parmesan...anything you'd use a regular marinara sauce and this is loaded with yummy veggies! If you don't like a chunky sauce you can puree it and no one will know the delicious vegetables are hidden inside!

1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bulb garlic, NOT 1 clove
1 small zucchini, chopped - about 1 cup
1 small yellow squash, chopped - about 1 cup
1 small eggplant, chopped - about 1 cup
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (or about 1 Tbsp. dried basil)
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Cut top off garlic, spray with cooking spray, wrap in foil and place in oven. Clean and chop remaining veggies and toss in a bowl, except the onion. Spray with cooking spray until all pieces are coated, spread in a single layer on cookie sheet, season with salt and pepper. Roast veggies for about 30 min or until fork tender, turning every 10 minutes.

In a saucepan over low heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and saute until translucent and slightly golden, do not burn! Add tomatoes, spices and roasted veggies. Let sauce simmer for 30 min to 1 hr over low heat. Remove bay leaf.

I prefer to make the sauce a day or two ahead of time and refrigerate it until I plan to use it. It tastes to much better, the flavors really come together!!

Makes approx. 12, 1/2 cup servings

Calories 66, Carbs 12, Fiber 3, Protein 3, Fat 1

WW Points Plus: 2

I love this served over some roasted spaghetti squash! Super yummy!!!

Replies

• KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    This looks delish....how do you roast your spaghetti squash? Thank YOU :flowerforyou:
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    OH MY GOSH YUM! This is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    You are never going to believe this but, my mom and I were shopping at Aldi several weeks ago. She was telling me about this stuff she makes with zucchini and yellow squash and tomatoes (she says she made this up). This is nearly IDENTICAL except for the eggplant. Amazing! I made this last week and wow! Delicious! I need to try your version with the eggplant and the bulb of garlic. As a matter of fact I was at Aldi today and picked up some squash and zucchini. I'm headed out to the kitchen now!
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    This looks amazing! I think I will try this and if I like it I'll can it for future use :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    This looks delish....how do you roast your spaghetti squash? Thank YOU :flowerforyou:

Its really easy! Slice in half, scoop the seeds out, spray with cooking spray, season with S&P, place face down on cookie sheet and cook for about 40-45 min at 400 F.

Soo easy and soo yummy!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    love that gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhlic! LOL!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    http://cookinglightwithcourtney.blogspot.com/2011/09/roasted-veggie-marinara-sauce.html

This is an original recipe, something I've used for a while that my whole family loves! I use it for spaghetti, lasagna, chicken parmesan...anything you'd use a regular marinara sauce and this is loaded with yummy veggies! If you don't like a chunky sauce you can puree it and no one will know the delicious vegetables are hidden inside!

1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 bulb garlic, NOT 1 clove
    1 small zucchini, chopped - about 1 cup
    1 small yellow squash, chopped - about 1 cup
    1 small eggplant, chopped - about 1 cup
    1 medium red pepper, chopped
    1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    2 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
    2 tsp oregano
    1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (or about 1 Tbsp. dried basil)
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste (optional)
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Cut top off garlic, spray with cooking spray, wrap in foil and place in oven. Clean and chop remaining veggies and toss in a bowl, except the onion. Spray with cooking spray until all pieces are coated, spread in a single layer on cookie sheet, season with salt and pepper. Roast veggies for about 30 min or until fork tender, turning every 10 minutes.

In a saucepan over low heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and saute until translucent and slightly golden, do not burn! Add tomatoes, spices and roasted veggies. Let sauce simmer for 30 min to 1 hr over low heat. Remove bay leaf.

I prefer to make the sauce a day or two ahead of time and refrigerate it until I plan to use it. It tastes to much better, the flavors really come together!!

Makes approx. 12, 1/2 cup servings

Calories 66, Carbs 12, Fiber 3, Protein 3, Fat 1

WW Points Plus: 2

I love this served over some roasted spaghetti squash! Super yummy!!!
    connie_mini_bump.gif
This discussion has been closed.