Pumpkin Crockpot Steel Cut Oats

Options
2»

Replies

• Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I made a crockpot full of this recipe last night! Woke up this morning to awesome aromas floating around in my home!!! Just had my first bowl.......DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this incredible recipe, be become a fall time favorite breakfast in my house! :)
    Wendy
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I cook my plain steel cut oats in a crock pot. Then place a 1/2 cup scoop (after cooked) on a foil lined baking sheet and freeze. After freezing place all "cookies" in a zip bag, and thaw in microwave when you need a serving. I add whatever extras I want that day after thawing, since my tastes change from day to day.

Instead of spraying my crock pot, I line it with the crock pot slow cooker liner bags. Just throw away when done. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Slow-Cooker-Liners-4-Count/dp/B002U0KKK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318600162&sr=8-1
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump going to try this with apple
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sounds so good. Going to do it tonight, for Saturday morn breakfast. Thanks
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    If making this with apple instead of pumpkin would you use unsweetened applesauce or chopped apples? I want to try it with both apple and pumpkin.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If making this with apple instead of pumpkin would you use unsweetened applesauce or chopped apples? I want to try it with both apple and pumpkin.

I've actually made it with both apple sauce and chopped apples. Both are good, I prefer the chopped apples but applesauce is a good time saver! I always use no sugar added.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I've actually made it with both apple sauce and chopped apples. Both are good, I prefer the chopped applesauce but applesauce is a good time saver! I always use no sugar added.

I tried it with applesauce and it did not turn out very well. One thing to keep in mind is that applesauce (depending on the kind) could end up making it a bit sour from the acidity. You might need additional sweetener.

Also, I made it at about midnight and let it go on low overnight. When I got up to check the next morning, it was all kinds of annoying to deal with. Despite me stirring well beforehand, it the pumpkin baked to the sides of the crock pot, and it just seemed not so great. It could do with occasional stir, which is more difficult if you're sleeping through the process.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried making this in a rice cooker? I always make my steel cut oats in a Zojirushi (porridge setting) and I might try this recipe using it...though I know I'll have to prep it in the morning instead of leaving the oats in water overnight like usual.
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I made steel cut oats last week and I put it on high for about 2 hours then turned it to warm to 8 hours. It was perfect.
  • catintheshell
    Options
    this sounds great. bumping to save.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I've actually made it with both apple sauce and chopped apples. Both are good, I prefer the chopped applesauce but applesauce is a good time saver! I always use no sugar added.

I tried it with applesauce and it did not turn out very well. One thing to keep in mind is that applesauce (depending on the kind) could end up making it a bit sour from the acidity. You might need additional sweetener.

Also, I made it at about midnight and let it go on low overnight. When I got up to check the next morning, it was all kinds of annoying to deal with. Despite me stirring well beforehand, it the pumpkin baked to the sides of the crock pot, and it just seemed not so great. It could do with occasional stir, which is more difficult if you're sleeping through the process.

When I made it with applesauce, I didn't add as much as I do pumpkin or chopped apples.

As far as it sticking, I spray mine with cooking spray and it does pretty good! Also depending on your crock pot, it might not take as long as to cook. I had to really play around with the recipe to get it to work perfectly with my crock pot.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If you have a rice cooker with a porridge setting, this recipe works great in it! Tried it this morning and it is SO good - and my 18 month old absolutely loved it.

I halved this recipe since I have a medium sized rice cooker (5.5 cup). Because the cook time is much less in the rice cooker, I used 2.5 cups of water instead of 3. I mixed everything up, set the porridge setting, and stirred 2-3 times during the cooking time. Turned out perfectly.

Awesome recipe, thanks so much for sharing!
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Just FYI for anyone who makes this, spray your crockpot with cooking spray before you put the ingredients in..totally forgot this morning :( lol

I made this with apples today and it smelled so wonderful. But I forogt to spray my crockpot and I probably lost a whole serving to sticking to the sides of the pot :grumble:
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Made my 3rd batch last night (doubled the recipe again) I am addicted! I will try with apples next time.
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump