Runners High???

Options
Is there a such thing as a runners high? Ran a little extra tonight even up a steep hill and it felt so good! Weird right?

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what happened to me! I'm SO STOKED right now!!!!

So yes. Runner's high. Indeed.
  • teresastemen
    teresastemen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Its the only thing that keeps me running! I love that feeling its starts at the top of my head and washes over me. Enjoy it!
  • Rledwards2011
    Rledwards2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is the best feeling!!!!
    :happy:
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    I especially feel it when I run a marathon. I can't stop talking 90 miles an hour on the way home and I laugh at the least little thing. It really does feel like you're high.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Gotta be honest, 35 half marathons, 1 full marathon, and 5K's and 10K's too numerous to mention ... I don't get the "runner's high" too ofen. Very rarely. I do like the feeling of accomplishment, but what you're describing - nope.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes there is!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Biochemical reactions in your body from intense exercise, running being a very popular way to achieve this. Enjoy it :) it is fabulous and very good for you. :glasses:
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Endorphins are a beautiful thing.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It is real and it is due to endorphins. Seritonin I believe is the culprit. I LOVE the feeling after even a short run. I was in a crappy mood when I started my race because I ahd to head into work after it. Once the race ended I was smiling ear to ear because i had scratched number 9 off my list of 2011 races
  • Pfoster24
    Options
    Thanks. I'll be ready for a 5k soon.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for one. I run 50 - 60 miles per week and have done 20+ marathons and a 50K (31 mile race).
  • Pfoster24
    Options
    Maybe it just felt good to run again. It's been a long time since I ran. I had gained soo much weight it hurt to walk.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I get a "high" as such but I certainly find that I'm calmer and in a better mood after running. Specially ifs a sunny morning like today.
    Enjoy!
  • jess_steich7
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as a runner's high. When you do any type of exercise your body releases a chemical called endorphins which acts as a pain receptor in the brain. Also, it is responsible for a euphoric feeling during and after exercise. The runner's high saying comes from runners that run long distances because endorphins are released for such a long period of time during their entire run. I'm a health education teacher and I just taught a lesson about this to my students. Endorphins are a great thing!
    Options
    Recent research points to endocannibinoids, the body's natural analog to THC, not endorphins.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20353785

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/phys-ed-what-really-causes-runners-high/