anybody want to help?

Options
I am a mother of 3, who has been trying very hard to lose weight, my only problem is, I have no way to weigh myself. I am over 500 lbs, and there are no scales in my area big enough to weigh me. I found one in a Bryan-Lane home catalog, and it goes up to 1000 lbs, but it is $260. I can not afford this, so if there is anybody that could or would want to help with the purchase of this. I would be so forever grateful. I don't know if I am losing or not. I'm not directly asking for money, I can give the info from the book. Thanks so much.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    why not buy body measuring tape and measure inches?
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    why not buy body measuring tape and measure inches?

Agreed. This is a lot more important in most people's minds.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm in a bad financial situation myself and I know how tough it can be. You don't NEED a scale though. The numbers go up and down with so many variables and are so easily swayed one way or another.

If you want to lose weight and get healthier...just start doing it. You'll know in other ways whether it is working or not. We call them NSV...Non Scale Victories...it's your clothes fitting a little loser, someone else noticing, feeling better, being able to resist temptation you ordinarily couldn't...

There are so many reasons to to get healthier and there are so many more ways you'll notice it. I'm not sure how many donations you'll recieve...but I know you can get lots of moral support. :)
  • CCLadyBug
    Options
    My first husband weighed 768 lbs when he had gastric bypass surgery. He was able to weigh at the hospital. They sometimes have to weigh patients while they are IN the hospital bed. Just an idea.... Best wishes, hon.
  • wendywr
    Options
    I agree- pounds on a scale are not the only measure of success. In fact, it's probably the most flawed way to measure your success. If you are losing fat, but adding muscle, you won't see a significant difference on the scale.

Also, you could try calling around to the local hospitals or care centers. I bet many of them have larger scales that they would be willing to let you step on.

There's a lot of people out there who refuse to weigh themselves regularly because of that. To start, judge by how your clothes fit, how you feel as you walk around. Take measurements and compare from week to week.

Good for you for taking the first step!
  • Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The scale I got from Brylane Home goes up to about 525 I think and it was $60.
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    I have to agree! The best and most affordable way is using body measuring tapes! You can find them basically any where (Wal-Mart or fabric/hobby stores for just a few dollars) I find that using the body tape is just as helpful! When I get to a point of not losing or being stuck at a certain number the tape always gives me motivation!

Wishing you the best of luck in your journey to a healthier you!
  • savismommy
    Options
    Measure inches! I have had days where I would get on the scale and not have lost a pound! But I would measure and be loosing a little here and a little there.
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to look at the scales online? If there is a particular brand you are looking at you might want to try sites like Amazon. ebay etc to see if they have them at cheaper prices. Another suggestion would be to maybe contact some fitness centres to see if they know of places who sell them for less money.

I hope you find one at a reasonable price.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 3, who has been trying very hard to lose weight, my only problem is, I have no way to weigh myself. I am over 500 lbs, and there are no scales in my area big enough to weigh me. I found one in a Bryan-Lane home catalog, and it goes up to 1000 lbs, but it is $260. I can not afford this, so if there is anybody that could or would want to help with the purchase of this. I would be so forever grateful. I don't know if I am losing or not. I'm not directly asking for money, I can give the info from the book. Thanks so much.

I think at this point, the number on the scale is the least of your worries. If you start using this program, restricting your calories and being more active, you WILL lose weight and you don't need a scale to tell you that. As many others have said, grab a measuring tape. Also, I'm SURE you would be able to weigh in at your doctor's office free of charge. Simply call around and ask. I think you might find it beneficial to not have a scale there taunting you on a regular basis. Start working on a healthy lifestyle and weigh in once every month or two. Once you have lost enough weight, you will be able to buy yourself a scale that you can afford.
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Ideaworks-Extra-Talking-Scale-Capacity/dp/B004EFA6G0/ref=sr_1_59?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1317172165&sr=1-59

This one goes up to 550 lbs and is less than $40, hope this helps: Ideaworks Extra Wide Talking Scale (550 LB Capacity) from amazon.com in case link doesnt work
  • crysmas
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! I will try the measuring tape, actually never thought of that, obviously very new to this concept!
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! I will try the measuring tape, actually never thought of that, obviously very new to this concept!

You can do this!!!! :flowerforyou: