why doesn't the time spent weight training count?

Options
Does anyone know why the exercise log doesn't count the time spent weight training in minutes toward your weekly exercise goal?

I try to do a very healthy balance of both cardio and weight training - and took that into consideration when I set my weekly minute goal but the weight training doesn't record an equivalent in time. I understand everyone works sets at different rates, but I'd like some way for my weight training to be considered toward my goal. Though perhaps I should just re-set my goal...

Also does anyone know if the projected exercise goal plays into the creation of your base daily calories. I know I earn additional calories when I do my cardio, but am not sure what role my current reported exercise level and goal levels play into that base figure. And on that note, why wouldn't weight training earn additional daily calories. Weight training actually requires a higher level of protein consumption... maybe that's all calculated magically and we don't see it, so just thought I'd ask.

Replies

• stevieg_fan
    Options
    Does anyone know why the exercise log doesn't count the time spent weight training in minutes toward your weekly exercise goal?

I try to do a very healthy balance of both cardio and weight training - and took that into consideration when I set my weekly minute goal but the weight training doesn't record an equivalent in time. I understand everyone works sets at different rates, but I'd like some way for my weight training to be considered toward my goal. Though perhaps I should just re-set my goal...

Also does anyone know if the projected exercise goal plays into the creation of your base daily calories. I know I earn additional calories when I do my cardio, but am not sure what role my current reported exercise level and goal levels play into that base figure. And on that note, why wouldn't weight training earn additional daily calories. Weight training actually requires a higher level of protein consumption... maybe that's all calculated magically and we don't see it, so just thought I'd ask.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    it does, you just need to add it in under cardio. you can put it in as weightlifting/strength training
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I think it is because your heart rate doesn't increase the same way as it does when you are doing cardio and you aren't burning as many calories.

I get around this by wearing a heart rate monitor and entering it all in with my cardio.

You could also log it seperately as cardio, but it wouldn't add in the calories for you I think.
  • mutkin
    mutkin Posts: 109
    Options
    cool - thanks! - will try that on today's as I did weights on either side of my run.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,024 Member
    Options
    I use Circuit Training. You do kinda need a HRM to get accuracy on the weight lifting.