Better N Peanut Butter

Options
holy cow. (for lack of a better word) this stuff is heaven. I bought it at Trader Joes today purely because it's only 100 calories for 2 tablespoons, as opposed to my old Jif Reduced Fat peanut butter which was 190 for 2 tablespoon. After buying it I realized with dread that I had tried "healthy" peanut butter before and HATED it. So I went online and looked at reviews and got very depressed as most of the reviews said it tasted "gluey and medicinal". After opening the jar and suspiciously sniffing it I finally got a littleee bit on a spoon...

And it was a.m.a.z.i.n.g.

Yes, the texture is different, it's thicker, creamier, and not as "processed" tasting as Jif. However, for 100 calories for 2 Tablespoons I'm not going to complain since it taste like peanut butter. Just a little different than normal.

Sooo everyone should go out and try it if you're a peanut butter addict like me :)

Replies

• mcb816
    Options
    THIS IS THE BEST STUFF ON EARTH! I definitely have to make a half an hr drive for it tho. Haha sometimes it's worth it
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! I'm looking for more ways to cut calories! I was going to switch my bread to Sara Lee just to save 20 calories a slice.. now to save on peanut butter.. would be like icing on the cake. Haha!

Maybe I can put jelly on my sandwich now! Yes!!
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i love it
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this SO much! Can you get it anywhere else?! :(
  • Jycooper
    Options
    Thx will have to try it. I love peanut butter. Currently eating the smart balance and I did want something w/ few calories. Thx.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    it may be half the cals but with only 2g of fat, you're missing out on all the "good" fats that regular pb has.

for another low cal option though you can check out PB2 which works great in shakes and stuff
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Better N Peanut Butter, but I will add in a shameless plug for PB2! Best stuff ever. I like it plain, with apples, in oatmeal, in protein shakes...so yummy (and only 45 cals for 2 tbs!)
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It is good but seriously...you need the good fat which helps demish cravings..... and its HUGE on too many carbs which bloats ya! But I will say that it taste yummy on celery sticks if this is your thing!
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter addict as well but I didn't like that stuff...HOWEVER...I LOVE PB2!! For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about it's a powdered peanut butter that you mix as needed...it's REAL peanut butter but without the oil they use in Jif etc...You have to order online but it's well worth it!! Now they even have...wait for it...CHOCOLATE Peanut Butter!!

PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
    It's what's not in PB2 that makes it so good for you. For starters, our special process removes 85% of the fat calories without the chemicals typically used in producing reduced fat foods. Something else you won't find in PB2 is preservatives. What you will find is natural roasted peanut flavor that's also available in a rich chocolate variety.

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Chocolate PB2
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 10

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1 g 1.5%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat <0.01 g
    Cholesterol <0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 70 mg 3%
    Total carbohydrate 6 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 1 g 4%
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 4 g
    Vitamin A <1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 2%

Here is the website to order: http://www.bellplantation.com/
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! They also sell a low-sodium variety which I don't care for. There's also a chocolate flavor which I have not tried. I totally agree it's awesome although it can be hard to find. =)
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    This intrigued me so I looked it up to see the ingredients and nutritional info- to compare to other peanut butters I have on hand.
    http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/nutrition.php

Although it's 1/2 the calories, and 75% less fat, it's double the carbs and triple the sodium.

Not sure I want to load up on so much starch. I'll stick w/ my natural peanut butters- just nuts & nuttin' else.
  • Jamazurunner
    Options
    This is my favorite treat for breakfast and dessert! So glad that others have discovered this!!!
  • hollymcd1027
    Options
    SC1572 - I just found this and tried it last week at my normal grocery store. Not sure where you are but it was at Jewel Osco here.

It has a very odd texture, but it does taste like peanut butter. Definitely not bad for a low calorie alternative to JIF.
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    what website is this from? sounds amazing:)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm, I'm not really convinced that it's a good thing - they have taken out a heap of the fat and replaced it with 6 different kinds of processed sugars/starches plus a bunch of flavours.
    It's a great example of taking a food that can be very simple (ie peanuts and maybe a bit of salt) and processing the heck out of it so that you feel it's OK to eat more of it.

My approach has changed over the years - now I aim to buy less processed food (mostly) and eat a moderate amount of it, rather than something that has been modified to make me think that it's OK to eat more than I actually need.
    I'm hoping that this will translate into better long term eating habits and keeping the weight off, rather than "dieting", losing weight then putting it right back on again when I go back to eating how I always ate.

Just my opinion!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I bought Better N Peanut Butter for awhile. Then I discovered PB2 and I didn't even finish the jar of Better N PB that was in my fridge. The two don't even compare, PB2 is infinitely better, IMO.

Oh, and the chocolate Better N PB is vile. I tried and couldn't even eat the whole spoonful I'd taken. That jar got instantly tossed.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It tastes a lot like the peanut butter made from peanut flour if you prepare it right... Except the powder has more protein and no extra ingredients. But I do agree about the taste. I can't get it here so I just stick to peanut flour and skippy since skippy seems to be the only normal brand that doesn't contain the bad ingredients like hydrolyzed oils... I'm obsesses with pb so I can't give up the real thing. :P I've got 5 different ypes at one time. haha
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE peanut butter, and bought Better n' Peanut Butter with much excitement. Unfortunately, I am less than impressed. I bought it at Albertson's for about $8. I will not spread it on a cracker or eat it like that. I will, however, use it in my chocolate protein shakes. I will not buy it again, but I think I'll look into PB2.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    PB2 fan here.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Oh WOW..learned something else...hehe.. going to try the PB2..I LOVE MY PEANUT BUTTER!!