I'm full of it!

Options
I've been on MFP for a month and I'm learning so much about myself, my habits, and what drives my eating. All this introspection has been a good thing emotionally and physically. I realize that one of my issues was that I didn't know when I was full. (I'll stop short of saying it was one of my biggest...even though it probably was.)

I never wanted to stop eating, and it had nothing to do with whether I was satiated or fueled. I remember one family get-together several years ago and everyone brought something to my house that was rich, lovely, and full of fatty goodness. One of my relatives said, "Whew, I'm full!" And another relative said, "I was full 15 minutes ago, but I worked my way through it." His statement represented how I ate nearly everyday. I age waaaaay past the point of being satisfied and I never gave myself a chance to 'feel' full. I went from famished straight to so-stuffed-I-can't-see-straight. There was one instance in which I'd eaten so much I could barely breathe! How stupid is that??!

Why? Why was I like that?

Well, it's a new day. Thank God I now know when I'm full of it.

Replies

• lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Great insight!!!
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I used to go to restaurants and I could barely walk when I was done with dinner from eating so much. Appetizer, Entree, Dessert... I really enjoy not feeling that way anymore!

Scott
  • dannylives
    Options
    You're so right! That is NO way to eat! Good luck!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    same here..i learned alot about myself, like that i can get by on less food mainly, and even more about diet and exercise..good luck on your journey:drinker:
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I swear, I know when you post something, I can second it wholeheartedly. I was the same way (still am sometimes). It's like my brain thinks I have to finish something if it tastes good just because it tastes good. Maybe it thinks I'll never get to eat it ever again, I don't know, but I'm sick of it, too!

<3 this thread!!
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this too. I was never satisfied until I had eaten to the point of being extremely uncomfortable. I Thought the point of eating WAS to get full. But I'm glad to say that I have since learned to eat to fuel my body and that all those fatty, rich foods I loved so dearly should be eaten sparingly and not at every meal. My trainer told me something I will never forget: eat until you are satisfied, not full...and that is a big difference! You've got the right attitude, thanks for sharing!
  • dmwood
    dmwood Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Now that you know what your faults are you have something to work with. Being honest with yourself is a great start. Good luck!
  • timeguardian13
    timeguardian13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    congrats!!! it's a great start to notice that :)

I do that when I am nervous.... I am not sure I have managed to stop it though .... hope I can keep on the track for longer

We will make it!!!!!! :)
  • MrsMelitta
    MrsMelitta Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You know what, I do the same thing! I need to reconigze when im full! THX!!!!! I needed this post! :blushing:
  • mistylnc
    mistylnc Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOL! I never tasted anything "to rich to finish"! Honestly. Nothing was too rich for me to eat as much of it as I could. Now I actually know what that means.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Awesome post Leola, thanks for the insight. I too used to blow right past full and not stop until I was uncomfortably stuffed. I still have trigger foods that I have to watch out for but things are pretty much under control now. Not knowing why we're eating and not knowing how and when to stop eating is a dangerous combination. Thanks!!!